Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

FDT Landlord Battery

laytonlight

Has anyone bought a battery for an older Landlord or B Series? The one that was in the tractor when I bought it was a Carquest 51-60. Closest thing I could find was this one at Batteries Plus. Haven't bought a battery in a while but I guess this the going price for standard batteries with 550 cranking amps (450 Cold)? It's a 12HP Briggs. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Pretty expensive. You don't need that many CCA's on this tractor.  The correct original battery was a  22NF. You can buy them at TSC and Orcheln from Maybe $65 to $100. The 51r is still a good option as the automotive battery will usually have a much better warranty compared to the tractor battery. Rural King sells the 51R for under $70 and I believe it has a 6 year pro rated warranty with at least a year free replacement. 

• Like 1

You can convert to a lawn and garden battery (preferably a heaver one with 300 cold cranking amps) but will have to change battery cable ends and make a battery hold down.  I do not have the lawn and garden batteries last as long as automotive batteries.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the input guys. I'm picking up this one tonight. Much better price, but six month as opposed to two year warranty. I'll probably get a battery tender later in the fall to see if I can keep it working longer. I wish there was a rural King around here. :-( Thanks again!