Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Richard Wright

Deck for 6218?

Richard Wright

I bought a pretty clean 6218 the other day off Craigslist. Runs well with no smoke or oil leaks only $150...BUT zero attachments. No mower deck and not even the lift handle or lift linkage. There's no sign that this little tractor ever did much of anything. I'd probably use it to mow if I had a deck and the associated lift, but since I don't have that stuff, I don't know what to do with it. Here in Florida there is very little Simplicity stuff so the chances of finding a deck locally are really low. I'm looking for suggestions and ideas of what to do with a nice little tractor. Here's a couple of pictures while it's still on the trailer.

SAM_4493.JPG

SAM_4490.JPG

SAM_4491.JPG

TomSchmit

Figure out how much you are willing to pay for a deck and then separately how much you are willing to pay for shipping. Then put an ad on the "attachments wanted" section of this website. I could find a suitable deck up here in Wisconsin pretty easy, if you are willing to cover the cost. You should bet the manual from B&S website to find out what the lift looks like. A tractor like that may have an electric lift assembly underneath it already. Finally, you can also check the section of this website about "tractor transportation" to see if anyone is headed to FL. Good luck! Tom

Richard Wright

Thanks for the suggestions Tom. Actually, I looked and there's no electric lift on this tractor and no evidence that it ever had one. It looks as if it had a manual lift for the deck at some time in the past. What do you think the price range of decks would be? I could go a hundred bucks for a deck and another hundred for shipping, but maybe that isn't enough. Lots of midwesterners come to our area in the winter so maybe I could work something out then. I downloaded the Simplicity owners manual from their web site so I know what the deck and lift look like at least. I also downloaded the parts book, both are very helpful.

ShaunE
18 minutes ago, Richard Wright said:

Thanks for the suggestions Tom. Actually, I looked and there's no electric lift on this tractor and no evidence that it ever had one. It looks as if it had a manual lift for the deck at some time in the past. What do you think the price range of decks would be? I could go a hundred bucks for a deck and another hundred for shipping, but maybe that isn't enough. Lots of midwesterners come to our area in the winter so maybe I could work something out then. I downloaded the Simplicity owners manual from their web site so I know what the deck and lift look like at least. I also downloaded the parts book, both are very helpful.

So...What you want is something like this?

I have another one that is orange but does not have the rear brace.  I was going to take both to Portage Tractor Days  to sell.

I noticed you are also missing the two "Up-Stops".  Simplicity #1669168.  They bolt to the underside of the running boards.

I can't believe all that stuff was removed from your tractor.

IMG_1753.JPG

Edited by ShaunE
  • Like 1

TomSchmit

Buy that lift while it is offered, often times not sold with the deck! I will look at decks for you, do you want 42" or 48"?

Tom

• Like 1

TomSchmit

A quick review shows the following decks will fit your tractor, perhaps more:

1690709 which is 48",  1690708 is 42", 1690838 and 839 are 36".

Right now, a member is offering the 42" size in the classifieds ... check it out!

Tom

• Like 1

Richard Wright

You guys have probably noticed that the PTO engagement lever and linkage is also missing. I think I can connect the PTO under the tractor but right now nothing is there. So I think I need some more stuff. Honestly, I'm wondering if it's worth it. All opinions are appreciated.