Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Tinkerman

How much to ask for 1972 Simplicity 4040?

Tinkerman

Hey, folks! This is my first post here. I bought an old Simplicity 4040 some time back and have been going through it over the past few months. It's almost in shape for sale and I'm hoping you all can give me some idea of how much to ask for it.

I overhauled the Onan 16.5 HP engine, replaced bad bearings in front PTO and mule, rt. front wheel bearings, replaced seat, new front tires, new decals, new paint, etc., etc. It runs very well now, hydro and range gears work fine, as does hydraulic lift.

Cons: Hour meter doesn't work, regulator is flaky (I'll probably replace this before selling, there is no rear PTO or 3-point hitch, no deck or other implements. Rear tires are checked a bit but still good.

I'd love to keep it and run it in the local parades and tired iron shows but my budget unfortunately won't allow it.

What do you think?

IMG_20180614_112658795.jpg

IMG_20180614_112538779.jpg

IMG_20180614_112553210_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180520_143823714.jpg

IMG_20180614_112709563.jpg

ShaunE

Not sure what should sell for in AR.

In WI, In that condition should be 2k.  I'd say 3k if it had a rear PTO, Three point & at least a mower deck for an attathment.  That is my opinion based on what I've seen in WI.  Allis & Montgomery Ward badged Powermax tractors bring more here.

Beautiful job on the restoration. FYI.  Many will want to know specifically what your Onan "overhaul" consisted of & whether or not you used OEM parts.

Fastenal will ship this tractor if you fasten it to a large enough pallet.  If you advertise that you will ship through Fastenal, you WILL get more responses.

• Like 1