Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Truth to the end of UPS internet shipping??

SmilinSam

Heard this weekend that UPS is putting the curtains to interet shipping. Anyone else hear of this?? Supposedly its to be discontinued in another 60 adays or so. Sam

...Hmmm, I can get the internet shipped to my door? In a box? I'll need to check shipping costs before this deal runs out!!!

Sam, I've been a little dismayed at UPS pricinglately. The USPS seems to be a lot more reasonable. Paul

Haven't heard anything about UPS stuff, but while we're on the thread... I just shipped a brand new high end printer via Fedex ground. When it arrived at my friend's house, it had been opened (my label cut with a knife, resealed with tape of a type I don't own) All the vital parts of the printer were Gone (Stolen)! STAY AWAY FROM FEDEX!!! Rick

IOnternet shipping is where you have an online account or use a credit card and do all the paperwork online. You input all the package information, destination, etc and print the labels and reciepts out on your computer at home. Then all you have to do is to hand the package to a UPS driver and away it goes. For me it works well because in my immediate area all of the businesses that act as UPS shipping counters have closed up. I have to drive 30 miles to the nearest counter now if I have to use one. AT the moment I'm just giving all my packages to the driver when he stops where I work each day, only 5 miles away. My folks read in the paper about UPS discontinueing the internet service but didn't have any details for me other that it was supposed to end in June or something. I can't ship with the postal service very well either because the local postmaster closes a half hour early now to get her work load done for the 5:00 pick up.(this even though the dooor hours state 5:00 as the closing time) and I get off work after 4:30. Pisses me off some days! If UPS does this, It looks like my fast shipping reputation is going to get slowed down and I may have to charge more to ship by having to pay customer counter fees and time and gas to run to town once a week. At the moment its not cost effective to become a daily poick up point, but I may have to look into that more soon.

Sam, I just can't see that rumor being true. That would be a very poor business dicision on UPS's part. Why would they just hand over a growing part of their business to other carriers? I seriously doubt this is going to happen. Just my 2 cents Jeff

Sam, If you become a daily pick up point, WATCH your chargebacks. We had a grocery store and a farm store that did UPS in addition to us. My office manager started noticing added charges on the monthly bill. We started investigating and found that if you send a package that is not in a CORROGATED cardboard box, ship any unboxed or odd shaped item, send something that turns out to be a residential address, as a business destination [even a business name], ANYTHING that is in error on the label. If you don't have old bar codes crossed out, ANY wrong labeling for type of service, not having the proper 2nd air sticker etc, and some other stuff, will result in a $5.00 charge to your acct for each item that is wrong. We keep tract of each package we ship and if we get a chargeback call the person that shipped it and bill them. We called the other 2 stores and asked them if they were aware that tis happened. They didn't think it was a problem. When they checked into it, they were losing money on UPS when charging 2.50 to handle the processing. The fleet store raised their charge to $5.50 to process a package and decided they weren't even recovering the cost of doing it. Both have both quit shipping anything UPS for customers. It is really easy for 200 to 400.00 to sneak in on your bill if you do very much shipping. Some of our customers have packages that generate chargebacks and they just pay it up front rather than the hassle of repacking. Also remember that if it is insured, doesn't mean they will pay for damage. THEY check the packing and determine if it is adequate. If packing is inadequate, they won't pay the claim. Just a few things to be aware of. Good Luck, Al Eden

Trust me , I have no vested interest in being a daily pick up point. I've looked into it and its not to my benefit at all. The things you mentined Al, are likely why alot of the businesses have dumped the UPS pick up point business in my area, and primarily why I want no part of it. Its almost like a trap has been set the way the rules are written up. Thanks for the input, Sam