Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hydro slow to respond

fishnwiz

Been running my new tractor and it runs awesome. ..problem I have is hydro is a bit slow to get to up to speed....it does not surge and Flys at top speed and holds it but if I back down on hydro to slow it down it slows but then is slow to get back up to full speed? 

Check the control rod linkage for binding.  Put it on jack stands with the seat deck up.  With tractor running, move the lever forward & see where it's hanging up at as it starts to speed up.

• Thanks 1

So the spring pictured seems to have lost a little tension. ..is that spring area adjustable at all...it doesn't appear to me that it is.?

I cleaned out dirt and grime in linkage and now  I have same slow speed forward but bad rearward creep in neutral  with super highspeed reverse. ? Scary 

Anyone have the link on doing this adjustment it will be much appreciated. 

Edited by fishnwiz

Wiz I can't get the page to load for the creeping adjustment.  It's impossible for me to explain without showing you in person.  Two wrenches is all you need because I'll bet you're roller cam bushing is just fine, even if it's grooved.  Hopefully @PhanDad will get this & post the page from the manual.  Once you do it once, you'll never forget how to do it.  Just like other things LOL!

• Thanks 1

Sounds good...didn't do anything other than clean everything off. No groove in roller cam. Just loosened everything up when I cleaned it. Can't imagine I am too far off on adjustments.

So I reasoned out the creep in the hydro and fixed that issue. Roller cam has slight groove but nothing major. Still can't figure out why there is a lag to high speed forward. I did notice one of the pressure relief pins was frozen up and one stuck down. Removed and repaired both pins....still no full speed forward. I don't see any adjustments to the spring cage due to the fact there are roll pins that prevent any movement forward or backwards. Any of you GTH owners have any suggestions? 

Edited by fishnwiz

I was away for the weekend.  It sounds like you have the creep adjusted out of the tractor, but he's the "adjustments" pages from the 17GTH-L manual I have:

5b281af1b5cd6_Sov17GTHLOpPg41.thumb.jpg.78126baf7ae38edbdfaa63c999b4e464.jpg

5b281af7d5e9c_Sov17GTHLOpPg42.JPG.83e39924ca81e38a97ad98a26932200b.JPG

5b281b03e48f0_Sov17GTHLOpPg43.thumb.JPG.96ea39ef72e2928c63e366235c722e01.JPG

5b281b0f7068f_Sov17GTHLOpPg44.thumb.JPG.d25540e75a869fa624b42ce79244f1e7.JPG

As the "slow" to get to full speed; I've found that even though the plastic cam guide doesn't have much of a ridge, a new one can eliminate the "slow" to full issue.  Unfortunately I've also found the replacement doesn't fix the problem and I haven't been able to figure out why the spring takes time and vibration to fully extend.  

As I believe was mentioned above, some folks have removed the roll pins and added a washer or two to increase the spring tension.  If you do this, then the tractor becomes more sensitive to lever movement and some find it changes speed to suddenly.  

And as others have said, if you jack the rear end totally off the ground and operate the hydro lever while the seat pan is up, you can see exactly what is happening (the cam is traveling down the slot until the spring un-compresses finally pushes the cam down the slot.  (Might be up the slot, I don't remember which way is forward - but I'm sure you get the idea)

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the info Bill! I was debating if I should add washers to change the spring tension. or not.

Edited by fishnwiz

Theres another place to look for slop and wear in the linkage.

The motion lever goes down the side of the tractor and through the frame. On the inside of the frame is an arm that connects to the motion lever. The hydro control rod attaches to that arm. 

The arm has a somewhat rectangular hole that slides onto a mated surface on the end of the motion lever. A nut, spacer and 2 dished washers hold all that on.  The somewhat rectangular hole in the arm can waller out  creating slop to where the motion lever can travel a bit before it ever engages the arm and makes it move. this happens in both directions. If it gets really worn it can make it so the tractor can never get up to full ground speed. Aslo gives the sensation of some lg time between moving the lever and the tractor actually starting to move.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Sam...

I have had that issue before on large frames and will need to take a look at that area. 

• Like 1

Seemed to have solved the slow speed issues by adjusting the creep adjustment bolts 1/2 turn. Tractor is cutting and running like a charm. 

Thanks for all the help guys.

• Like 1