Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Montgomery Ward Walk behind tractor

earl

Hello. I just bought a Montgomery Ward (Simplicity) walk behind garden tractor. It came with a tiller, sickle bar, plow blade, cultivator, and a sulky. It runs great and has a fresh coat of paint. I never owned one of these but it is pretty cool.  I can't find a model number on it but I would say it was from the 50's. I am looking for information/manuals about the tractor if anyone can help.  It has a 5 hp tecumseh engine that runs well, but yesterday it started overspeeding so I shut it down.  I haven't taken a look at it yet but it is probably a spring came off the governor or something like that.  I attached a picture of it if anyone can help me identify it.

Thanks,

Earl

20180616_134347.jpg

Edited by earl
mispelled words
  • Like 2

I can't help you with your inquiry, but a beautiful package. dOd There are several members here who have some walk-behinds that should be along shortly. Welcome to the club.

Nice bunch of accessories with a mighty fine walk behind.  

Someone will be able to help you out. Welcome to the club and please be sure to stop by again.  There is a great group of guys on this site.

Welcome to the club. Don't know anything about Tecumseh engines, sure is a nice looking collection you have . I would guess that you are on the right track with the spring idea.

Tom

That tractor was built for Wards by Midland. It uses some of the Simplicity attachments but is not a Simplicity tractor. Also the Tecumseh engine is a replacement. That being said; you still have a very nice package of walk behind stuff. Enjoy. 

• Like 1

I concur with Dave's observation, Midland built. Quite good tractors, real workhorse for the size. And that one sure looks nice. 

• 4 years later...
6 hours ago, 1970Spoiler said:

What are these tractors and implements going for now?  I have some I need to sell.

Thanks, Jonathan

Welcome Jonathan.

I would suggest starting a new post in the “What’s it worth” forum with some pictures of the machine. I tried to sell some walk behinds years ago. Couldn’t hardly give them away. Sold for next to nothing at auction. One was actually a “no-sale”. If the implements or accessories also fit riding tractors or if the condition of the overall package is exceptional then it might still sell good with the right buyer. 

• 2 weeks later...