Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

FDT Landlord Clutch-Brake Adjustment

laytonlight

After sitting idle for awhile I finally got the 2012 Up and running with the Ags and she complete her first task, pulling down a portion of a Mulberry tree that had come down but was lodged on the remaining branch. Before and after photos below. She spun in the grass/dirt some but I'll be putting the wheel weights on before I tackle the mid mount grader for the driveway. I didn't ride it much before I put it in the shop and rebuilt the carb and some other things, new seat adapted with springs, the Ags, and a 10" drive pulley and matching belt as I'll be using it solely for tasks other than cutting the grass.

When I got it running again, I have found that it doesn't clutch smoothly, but jumps after letting up on the clutch some. I took the clutch apart and cleaned the surfaces and replaced the plastic "bearings" and I'm still getting it. Any ideas on which direction to go in making adjustments, the brake or clutch first? It almost seems as though the brake is engaging but the clutch releases too soon, almost like it's brake torquing that give it the jump at the start. Any ideas are appreciated. Hope the photos aren't too big; I wanted to show her off a little. Just have to get the tri-ribs for the front.

2012-tree-sm-a.jpg

2012-tree-sm.jpg

2012-sm.jpg

If you think that the brake is on before the clutch is fully disengaged, you can adjust (loosen) the brake linkage some so that the brake only engages when the pedal is fully depressed beyond the clutch disengagement.

• Like 1