Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

720 not charging

jackcobb

Had my 720 painted. Wow, does she look good. It was charging before she went in for the face lift, but not now. A reputable Milwaukee ONAN shop feels it is highly probable that it may be that the rectifier and/or regulator may have lost their ground when the tractor was painted and these bolted back on. I've never studied this area myself on the tractor but my question is, can I remove the oil cooler and get to these components and clean the paint off for the grounds. Or does the engine need to come back out (ouch) to do it? Thanks Jack

Jack, You can get at the regulator and rectifier from underneath - remove the belly pan. Raising the hydro cooler may also help get some light in there. The bolts are on the right side of the frame tunnel - in front of the brake pedals. Having everything grounded properly is critical. Good luck. Jeff P.S. We want to see some pictures!

Jack, could you please post or e-mail me that onan shops ph #. Short of tearing mine down on the 4040 to see whats up inside I'm outta ideas on how to get more than a 1500 rpm spread outta that thing..thanks..MPH

Thanks Jeff. I knew there had to be a way to get in there cause all the checks are done with the thing running. But I never charted those waters yet. And the Milwaukee Onan Dealer is: Engine Services Inc. 11650 W Carmen Av Milwaukee, WI Real close to Milwaukee Harley-Davidson or the old Attic West then Billy Bob's off of Silver Spring. 414/353-7340

Peter, I'm on my first cup of coffee so Upstairs isn't quite engauged yet, but its a mech gov and there is a setting proceedor when putting it together but before I washed it off I couldn't see any signs of a wrench being on the bolts of the engine in quite some time. It had a pretty even coatting of old dirty oil half baked on. Only clue the engine might have been out is there are only 3 bolts holding it in. Got new pts, condenser and pt plunger yesterday "thankyou sandy lake" so I'm hoping maybe that will help some since I get the feeling they are quite cridical on these onans. As it sat for some time without running I'm wondering if the gov mechinism isn't gunked up or slugish..MPH

Jack, I noticed that you work at Harley-Davidson. Do they give tours there? I have always wanted to see those nice cruisers getting put together :) I guess motorcycles are ringing a bell since I am most likely getting a new Honda Rebel, Harley's are a bit outta the budget,....-BradW

MPH: Showing my ignorance here, with a shot in the dark: is your engine's governor an "air vane" or mechanical/weight design? I thought only the smaller engines were airvane operated, so I'm guessing it's not an air vane style. So then I would ask if you could tell whether engine work had been done? I'm just wondering if the prior owner "made one out of two" and perhaps used incompatible "whatevers" having to do with a mechanical governor, like if there are weights someone could get wrong, or idler gears, or whatever. I know nothing about this, and didn't look it up. It's just been bothering me, and I wondered if it were possible. Good luck, Peter