Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

mmasters

Model 19 Rebuild

mmasters

I am going to replace piston rings, crank bearings, and gaskets on a model 19 Briggs. Probably a carb rebuild also. What do I need to check/replace as far as valves? 

SimpleOrange

Heads up, the Briggs site lists all the vintage engine manuals for free download, all the specs for your engine rebuild should be on the manual.

Quick Links:

Edited by SimpleOrange
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chris727

The standard model 19 engines used in our Simplicity tractors did not have replaceable bearing inserts. The bearing surface was a machined portion of the crankshaft support assemblies.

• Like 1

mmasters

Thanks. I haven’t gotten it apart just yet, but what do I look for to see if I need to replace the rod? What do I need to do about the valves?

SimpleOrange
53 minutes ago, mmasters said:

Thanks. I haven’t gotten it apart just yet, but what do I look for to see if I need to replace the rod? What do I need to do about the valves?

1pl.png

2pl.png

Edited by SimpleOrange

SimpleOrange
58 minutes ago, mmasters said:

Awesome, thanks. 

I used the K-Line kit with thin wall bronze valve guides for chevy and ford cylinder heads, the kit below is made specifically for Briggs and Stratton engine but rather than purchase the kit you might have your local small engine repair shop do this portion of your rebuild.

ezz.png

• Like 1

SimpleOrange

The puller guys might realise an increase in horse power with a 3 or 4 angle valve grind.

http://www.ezbore.net/Neway-Honda-Clone-3-Angle-Kit-p/newez1203hon.htm

The graph below shows the results of a flow test I carried out on a brand new CNC 044 cylinder head (40mm inlet valve).
The red line shows ‘out of the box’ flow with the factory fresh 3 angle seat.
The blue line shows the improvement by recutting and repositioning the 45° cut to the outer edge of the valve. I also added a 30° backcut to the valve.

333.png

flow.png

Edited by SimpleOrange
  • Like 1

mmasters

According to the parts break downs I have reviewed, they show roller bearings supporting the crank on each end. In my engine, the crank is supported by the case which does not have a replaceable bearing. Hopefully the case is not out of specs if I can find those.