Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

GardenTrACtorguy

A never ending project

GardenTrACtorguy

In that past I have posted here about my 718 with a k361.  It has been to a friends place where it has had the valves adjusted and looked over.  After sitting for the last couple of months I have decided to put the mower deck on it.  The engine still running erratic and can not do simple tasks like mowing or pulling a yard roller. I have been thinking maybe the engine needs higher octane fuel since it is a little of a hot motor.  It also has big oil leak around the top of the head around the ohv. I have not been able to locate the leak but what should I look for under the ohv plate and head?  Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

94FA932B-3130-4DBA-BC51-2144EB74B744.jpeg

A3B9F1BD-02BC-424B-AAC8-FED2E6B4ABF9.jpeg

7B2C559C-D6AB-46CE-89C8-2B5D4BBFF934.jpeg

9E2307BF-8E45-44CD-B87A-949C2F842301.jpeg

04239936-E90C-4416-82D3-F68B96802B2B.jpeg

PhanDad

Sorry I'm no help with your questions about that engine.

Interesting though, that questions about 2 different 718/7018 tractors appear within a couple weeks of each other.

Based on the other post, I'm thinking @MikeES can help with your questions.  

Brettw

Your engine issues may be linked to a sheared flywheel key.  Something to check if all else seems to fail.  You can rebuild everything on the engine to brand new specs +, and if that key is sheared, it will not run properly.  About $0.95 in parts to fix.

• Like 1

GardenTrACtorguy

Thanks for the idea. I think I’m going to try higher octane fuel and riches the carb up a little and see what it does. Who knows the engine may be pulled soon.  Any suggestions about the oil leak?

MikeES

The pictures look like it is leaking around the valve cover.  The cover and base are quite heavy and not prone to warping.  Take it all apart, clean it up and if needed make a cork gasket for the valve cover.  It may also be leaking around the push rod tubes, I believe there is an o-ring to seal the tubes to the valve base.  This engine has a long intake tube I would check gaskets and for leaks on the intake.

Does it start easy or hard?   Check the point gap should not be more than .020, I have found it runs best at .017.   A bad condenser will also cause it to run rough.

• Thanks 1

GardenTrACtorguy

The engine starts rather easily.  I will check the condenser and take the valve cover off and take a look. Thanks for the help everybody, the engine may work after all.