Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

GDH

Electrical problems with 1920 Ultima

GDH

I own a Deutz-Allis model 1920 garden tractor, made by Simplicity, with a 20 HP Kohler engine. It has been a great lawn tractor and snow blower. The amp gauge shows a charge, but I am having electrical problems with the inter-lock switches on the steering column, the head lights, and the electric clutch, also the gas gauge jumps. I think it is a possible bad ground, short or broken connection? I cannot trouble-shoot the wiring using the picture in the manual. This picture of the wiring harness is not helpful, because it is not detailed enough. I am looking for a detailed electrical schematic breakdown of all the tractor wiring, that shows the actual connections of the wires, gauges, switches, etc., so that I can troubleshoot the wiring and hopefully find the problems. Can anyone help me with this frustration? Thank you.

PhanDad

There are detailed electrical schematics in the "Simplicity Electrical Information Manual.  Various years are available to download in the "Download" section of the site.  Here's an example page for your tractor or tractor similar to yours (MFG# specific schematics as can be seen in the top right of the page):

CrackingCircuit.thumb.JPG.d7e2783616eaa33d37732e8f4ed27020.JPG