Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Seized motor

LeoB

I think I know the answer to this one, but.... I'll toss it out there for you experts. I put a Kohler 12 hp motor into one of my tractors. It was an older K301 or whatever the K series 12hp motors are. It ran great, nice and quiet, no smoke, no unusual noises. It was full of fresh oil. Well, once I got it going, I drove it around the yard for awhile, but the battery was still a little on the low side, so I parked it and let it run for awhile. It was running like this at about 2/3 throttle for about 15 minutes, I went inside for a couple of minutes to get some tools for another project and when I came out, no tractor sounds. I walked over to check it out. A little smoke was coming out of the exhaust pipe. When I tried to start it, it wouldn't turn over. The starter would turn but no dice with the motor turning. I tried to turn the motor, but it's locked up. I'm guessing a overheating siezure. I'm not really sure why that would be, I leave my B-112 running while working around alot with no problems. My question, have any of you successfully unseized an engine like this without a rebuild? I've done it with one of the old snowblowers I have with no real problems to speak of once it's freed up. It might be less powerful, but I'm not seeing it.

Ive never unsiezed one myself, if it was caused by heat I'd bet your cooling fins are full of mouse--- or the fins are dirty. If its cast iron it may come lose, I'd guess Alum would melt together..might need a new piston...MPH

I have unseized motors before. It really depends on what caused it to lock up. Usually if they get hot enough to seize they will smoke and use oil. Sounds to me like it was low in oil, unless a valve got stuck, maybe some carbon came loose or something and wedged a valve shut. I saw an engine once that sucked the screw from the choke plate on the carb into the motor, it didnt seize though. The screw beat a hole in the top of the piston. Strange things happen to old motors. ddh

I had a B/S engine that I thought had siezed. Turns out that float stuck, killed engine and filled cylinder with fuel. Take out the plug and try to turn over. Maybe you'll be lucky and this will work. If it is siezed. You can take the head off, use a piece of 2x4 or some soft wood and peck with a hammer. Sometimes this will loosen the siezure. Don't hit hard as you will cause major damage. Most times you can re-assemble the head without a new gasket if you make sure the head, deck, and gasket surfaces are clean. Rod H.