Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

16 hp Vanguard electrical issues.

fishnwiz

Neighbor is offering me a used mid to late 90s Broadmoor that needs repairs to it's electrical charging system.  I have not seen the tractor yet but owner has had the tractor for 15 years and a few years back the battery would not charge and electric PTO would not engage due to no current. The owner had it repaired and tractor worked fine for 2 years only to recently  fail again.

I am thinking it's the stator that's the issue but am hesitant due to the fact 2nd repair did not hold up for more than 2 years.

Anyone have this type of failures in the past who could steer me in another direction on what else may have failed that may have caused  these issues ?  Is there a fuse link ect... that may have failed in the chargeing system? The system is pretty straight forward as far as stator below the flywheel, charging off the magnetic field developed by the spinning of the flywheel so what else am I missing here. Voltage regulator on the Vanguard may have failed?  How do I determine if in fact it is the regulator?  Anyone have a used regulator and stator for a 16 twin lying around that they want to sell?

The tractor is being offered at 150.00 but don't know if it's worth repairing if I am only going to break even on it.....the condition of tractor  is supposedly good overall. 

Thanks 

Edited by fishnwiz

Obviously without some testing, it’s hard to say what the problem is.

Could be as simple as the main +12v wire from the regulator is broke.

I’d start at the voltage regulator. Can you get to it?  With the engine running, check the voltage at the +12v terminal; it should be 13.8 to 14.5v.  If it is, then issue is in wiring somewhere.  If it isn’t, then check the “AC” voltage; it should be about 30v and varies with engine speed.  On the connector, the AC wires are usually the same color and different in color from the +12v wire.  If the AC voltage is good, then the voltage regulator is bad.  If the AC voltage is bad, then a stator or magnet issue.  

• Thanks 1

A Briggs rectifier regulator generally contains three wires, two yellow AC wires on a mated plug and a single DC charge wire that connects  to  the mower harness. The regulator body is the ground connection. Sometimes the regulator isn't fastened down tight, causing intermittent charge problems . One of the best deals around  is when Harbor Freight gives away free AC-DC voltmeters. For the average user, you can't beat it.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys...I passed on the tractor. Not enough at the back end to make much $$    It was not a real classic but more of a user anyways