Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

PTO Clutch

LMichaels

So just kind of wondering. I know these machines all have their own set of unique "noises". My old B10 had sounds that were unique and now this Sovereign has some sounds that I kinda wonder about. Mostly the PTO clutch seems to make a "rattle" when the mower deck is not "engaged" and the machine is idling.. It sounds a little like when the BGB goes bad because when I bought my B10 that box rattled and knocked like an old cat diesel on cold start. But you knew why because of all the slop you could feel in it. This one is tight as can be and when you flip the lever for the PTO the rattle stops. One other thing again I am not sure of. When you engage the PTO clutch it lets off a screech for maybe a second. I don't think it's a belt it seems to come from the clutch itself.

Again thanks for any input

The screech is the cone clutch engaging the pulley. I always warm the engine up prior to engaging the PTO. You can tell by placing your hand on the oil filter. Before I engage the PTO, I idle the engine all the way down and place my right hand on the throttle while engaging the PTO with my left. After engaging the PTO, I immediately increase the engine RPM to full throttle.

The noise you may be hearing is the bearing in the PTO pulley, P/N 1650254. The bearing inner race turns while the PTO is not engaged. I had one make noise like you explain and when I pulled it apart the bearing felt fine. I replaced it and the noise was gone.

• Thanks 1

Thanks! Maybe I'll pull it apart. Is it a standard bearing available from any bearing dealer or is it only from Simplicity dealer?

(3) options:

1) Simplicity P/N 1650304

2) Fafnir 1100KRR with 1" ID X 1-3/8" long inner race with 7/8" ID X 1" OD X 1-1/2" long Oilite bushing AA-1008-2. I made an arbor to press the bushing into the bearing. I have access to a lathe to face the bushing from 1-1/2" to 1-3/8".

3) Fafnir 1014KRR with 7/8" ID X 1-3/8" long inner race. This option has been used by ShaunE and may be a special order item.

"Not engaged" some of my cone clutches rattle while engaged.  It is the bail mechanism that pulls the cone back against the spring, to disengage the clutch.  When engaged the bail is sitting there loose and if you have any wear in the pivots they will rattle...again while the clutch is Engaged>

15 hours ago, MikeES said:

"Not engaged" some of my cone clutches rattle while engaged.  It is the bail mechanism that pulls the cone back against the spring, to disengage the clutch.  When engaged the bail is sitting there loose and if you have any wear in the pivots they will rattle...again while the clutch is Engaged>

I guess it's matter of semantics LOL. I know the proper use of the term from old manual shift days. Pedal to the floor meant clutch engaged and trans disengaged So yeah when my PTO clutch is engaged it has a rattle :D

EVERY cone clutch model tractor I have owned squealed like a pig when engaged .....except for a brand new one I installed on one of my tractors.  JMO

Yeah it seems that is the case. My old neighbor had a JD with electric clutch PTO and it squealed, my son in law has a Ford/New Holland/JD tractor with electric PTO and it too squeals. I am more concerned with the rattle at idle