Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Power Steering

LMichaels

Another thing that has come up is I wonder if it's possible to convert my Sovereign to power steering? Is there a kit or something?

There were 2 styles of PS Kits made.  

The older one used the original steering wheel, gearset, etc; it's number is #1691021 and 1692098.

The newer one is a "spool" kit which replaces the steering wheel, gearset, etc; it's number is #1692856.  

New kits are usually expensive if you can find one.  

It's usually much more cost effective to buy a late model Sovereign with the "spool' PS.  Occasionally you can find an older Sovereign with the old style PS.

You can also get get most of the parts from a SunStar with PS - but you'll need a few specific Sovereign parts.  There are some posts on the site about fitting a SunStar PS to a Sovereign.

• Thanks 1

I converted mine using a SunStar steering shaft, wheel, cylinder, and a few of the hoses.  The rest of it was a "kit" from RayS and some standard length and fitting hoses I got premade off eBay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Let me start this argument as I've always wondered why it be Ok to tear a Sunstar apart for the steering but when I was going to do the same with a Sovereign it was a criminal sin.

This has always baffled me so since it has been brought up I'd like to know ?

Edited by 720nut

1 minute ago, 720nut said:

Let me start this argument as I've always wondered why it be Ok to tear a Sunstar apart for the steering but when I was going to do the same with a Sovereign it was a criminal sin.

You don't like Sunstars anyways so why go there?:ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, fishnwiz said:

You don't like Sunstars anyways so why go there?:ph34r:

Just asking , isn't that what this site is for ?

• Like 1

I think it's a simple matter of supply and demand .  The power steering option on Sovereigns is much more scarce than on Sunstars, where it's actually rare to see a Sunstar without it.  However, Sovereigns are plentiful and generally cheaper than Sunstars, and better suited for folks with smaller mowing jobs.  Sovereign attachments are also more plentiful and cheaper, making the Sovereign a much more common choice for folks to use.  Adding the Power Steering to one then gets more attention because the Sovereign is simply more beloved.  It's pretty darn easy to find a worn out, engineless Sunstar to rob valuable steering components off of, for far less cost than buying those parts new.  

20 minutes ago, 720nut said:

Perhaps approach the discussion without the preface of 'Let me start an argument', and you will have a better response.  Your first post sounds provoking vs productive and folks who aren't used to your cynicism are likely to get a poor impression.

1 hour ago, 720nut said:

I think it’s blasphemy. But I’m a Sunstar owner. xD

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Talntedmrgreen said:

I think it's a simple matter of supply and demand .  The power steering option on Sovereigns is much more scarce than on Sunstars, where it's actually rare to see a Sunstar without it.  However, Sovereigns are plentiful and generally cheaper than Sunstars, and better suited for folks with smaller mowing jobs.  Sovereign attachments are also more plentiful and cheaper, making the Sovereign a much more common choice for folks to use.  Adding the Power Steering to one then gets more attention because the Sovereign is simply more beloved.  It's pretty darn easy to find a worn out, engineless Sunstar to rob valuable steering components off of, for far less cost than buying those parts new.  

Well said and I agree.

It's extremely rare (if ever) to see a late model Sovereign with spool PS parted out.  

17 hours ago, fishnwiz said:

I miss Ray S...hope all is well with him?

@RayS is still here and  active in his shop & FB. His fabrication is flawless. 

• Thanks 1

I should add that the power steering conversion makes it a whole new tractor.  1 finger steering as opposed two handed unless you're moving.

I acquired my power steering setup through a Craigslist link somebody had posted here for a Sunstar being parted out.  I don't remember the condition exactly, but the engine was shot.  I e-mailed the guy and asked about pulling all the steering components, which he did and shipped for about $150.  1 dead SunStar made my Franken-Sovereign even more weird.  Not it's a 7117 with a 22hp Predator and SunStar power steering!

I believe some of the 300 or 400 series JD tractors use the same spool valve, or it's close at least.  For a while I had ebay searches going steering columns out of those tractors as well while trying to piece together a power steering setup.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, gwiseman said:

@RayS is still here and  active in his shop & FB. His fabrication is flawless. 

I was going to say, his last activity was just a few days ago and I agree, his fabrication rocks!  I really should pick up a tiller mule drive from him to both tillers have it.  His receiver hitch and power steering hardware have been game changers.

6 hours ago, 720nut said:

I was just jerking your chain....I do understand your question.  Guess it's the same as spending money to repair a Triad motor.

• Haha 1

I didn't mean to start an argument. Just wanted to know if there was an actual "kit" to install PS LOL

• Haha 2

No argument here..(We don't argue on this site and anyone who says otherwise is wrong and we are going to have words sm03 ) .just messing around. It's a well known fact Lloyd is NOT a big fan of Sunstar tractors and I shouldn't have hijacked the thread by teasing him about that when he had a legit question...that's on me.:ph34r:

Edited by fishnwiz

1 hour ago, LMichaels said:

I didn't mean to start an argument. Just wanted to know if there was an actual "kit" to install PS LOL

Sorry was not my intent I guess my wording was a little off. As for kits I'm not sure but I have used several Sunstar steering items in several projects I've done.

Latest was to put power steering on an older Kubota tractor a friend of mine owns, needless to say he is tickle to death with it.

49 minutes ago, fishnwiz said:

No argument here...just messing around. It's a well known fact Lloyd is NOT a big fan of Sunstar tractors and I shouldn't have hijacked the thread by teasing him about that when he had a legit question...that's on me.:ph34r:

I don't mind the tractors ,just not my cup of tea.

Anyway sorry for hijacking your post, I'll try not to let it happen again

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Who needs a Sunstar Lloyd when you build those killer rails?  ah meant to say Pullers! :D

Edited by fishnwiz
  • Like 1

You guys are funny. Maybe as I get more used to wrenching on this machine I'll look further into it. After 28 years of the old B10 I tended to know every nut and bolt by heart

• Like 1

I have bought 5 Sunstars over the years to rob the power steering. On every one of them I ended up with the power steering parts and got my money back selling other parts from them.

If you have a lot of grass to mow, a Sunstar with a 60 inch deck is perfect, otherwise they are just not the all around general purpose tractor that the Sovereign is.

My 2 cents

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, midnightpumpkin said:

I have bought 5 Sunstars over the years to rob the power steering. On every one of them I ended up with the power steering parts and got my money back selling other parts from them.

If you have a lot of grass to mow, a Sunstar with a 60 inch deck is perfect, otherwise they are just not the all around general purpose tractor that the Sovereign is.

My 2 cents

Hello John glad to see you back

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, midnightpumpkin said:

My 2 cents

IMO ..I think it's the different look of the tractor that people either hate or love and has nothing to do with the capabilities of the tractor itself.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fishnwiz said:

No argument here..(We don't argue on this site and anyone who says otherwise is wrong and we are going to have words sm03 ) .just messing around. It's a well known fact Lloyd is NOT a big fan of Sunstar tractors and I shouldn't have hijacked the thread by teasing him about that when he had a legit question...that's on me.:ph34r:

It wasn't just you that was instigating him.

• Sad 1

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 1:10 PM, PhanDad said:

The older one used the original steering wheel, gearset, etc; it's number is #1691021 and 1692098.

With all my years of playing with these tractors I have not run across one with this PS system.  Can someone explain how this PS works, and what are the components?

Thank you.

10 hours ago, MikeES said:

With all my years of playing with these tractors I have not run across one with this PS system.  Can someone explain how this PS works, and what are the components?

Thank you.

They both had the control valve built right into the ram and used their own drag link from the steering box to the valve is the best that I can explain. it. Here is an underside sketch.

1691021Ram.jpg

• Like 1