Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
LMichaels

Engine confusion

LMichaels

So recently I have seen some more Sovereign tractors identical looking to mine, all apparently within the same mfg time period. 2 of them when examining the photos obviously have Kohler Command 18 hp engines and the other obviously has a Triad on it.

Was the machine made in that 97 to 2000 range with a Command OHV 18 hp? Or is it possible these were all Triads that had a Command Pro installed as a replacement?

Now I am wondering about my own machine. Could it have had a Command 18 engine? I know the engine is  not original as it is definitely a Command Pro 20 and the year of mfg does not fit the machine since apparently they only made the model until 2000 and the engine is after that period

Lots for me to learn about this machine I guess LOL

BLT

The Triad supplied Sovereigns were built for the production years 1998 thru 2000  starting with tractor number 1692943 and ending with 1693413. . The Triads didn't fair well and disappeared and for warranty/policy, were replaced by CH engines.. However there are some good ones still running, but the mention of that engine in the used market today takes away a lot  that value. 

• Like 1

LMichaels

OK that explains why I see an occasional Sovereign with a CH series and a Triad shows up. Also explains the swap to a CH20 in mine. I sure am glad I found one with the CH series. Actually the previous owner didn't even know it was a 20. He was advertising it as a an 18 because it was originally an 18. But it explains the early demise of the original engine and the CH20 in it's place. Actually fairly pleased so far with the machine. I am getting a little more used to the feeling like I am driving the Queen Mary around my yard compared to my old B10.

I do kinda wish it was peddle controlled though. Wife does too. She's a little disappointed I came home with this instead of the little Kubota.