Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Home Made Green Slime that doesn't harden

carterd

I spend a lot of time at the sand dunes, and a common problem with paddle tires is that they are thin and puncture very easy. A bunch of guys were running this homemade stuff that they dumped into their tires and it would stay liquid until it was sealing a puncture. In other words, if they put enough in, it would last a while so they didn't have any flat tires. 

Its a mixture of Bar's liquid aluminum, and undiluted green antifreeze. The mixture varies per the size of the leak. I run a 1:2 ratio for most small bead leaks. But I have also ran a 50:50 with others. 

The problem with green slime is that it hardens and then can throw off the balance of your tires and is also only a one time use thing. But this stuff isn't. It also washes off your rim with soap and water. So I've used it in a lot of vehicle tires. 

For $20 worth of liquid aluminum and antifreeze, I was able to keep all four tires on my tractor that have some sever weather checking. I just remove the valve stem and use a modified diff fluid cap to pour it in. Then I air the tire up, and rotate and flip the tire until the leak is plugged by the solution. 

Just a tip for those of you like me that can use it! The tire shop will thank you if you use this over Green Slime

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Thanks simple orange! I think the only reasons to use antifreeze is that it is compatible with the bars and it won’t freeze lol. So any safer alternative for the environment is okay in my book! I’ll look into it. 

9 hours ago, carterd said:

Thanks simple orange! I think the only reasons to use antifreeze is that it is compatible with the bars and it won’t freeze lol. So any safer alternative for the environment is okay in my book! I’ll look into it. 

We give our thanks that our mom and pop were able to once again build a home from environmentally safe mud.

When we laeave this nest we'll each consume.

Barn Swallows love the insects that we humans consider pesky, [mosquito] especially mosquitoes, gnats, and flying termites. A single Barn Swallow can consume 60 insects per hour or a whopping 850 per day.

And this is why our friend SimpleOrange allows us the use of his garage each summer.

20180704_164943.thumb.jpg.8c35bb51a1ae2b6ad2523d0279d3f97f.jpg

Edited by SimpleOrange
  • Like 5

Yesterday had a human visitor in my shop when I noticed he was standing directly below the swallow nest told him that he should not stand there then when he asked why pointed up to the nest.

The droppings are easy to sweep up then mixed with water for a nitrogen rich fertiliser for the tomato patch.

This reminds me of the time a had a pet Ferret that ran loose in our house, then one evening an out of town buddy dropped in and ended up on the floor with a sleeping bag the couch was already taken by one of the wife girlfriends.

About 3:00 am the ferret climbed into the sleeping bag, Pat was not aware that we had a ferret what a commotion.

Ferrets and baby bottles with milk do not get along with the wife, the ferret will chew the nipple off to get to the milk.

swallow.thumb.jpg.03dee46b7d14ff98eaf19cc6b4b9a82b.jpg

Edited by SimpleOrange