Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
SimpleMan

Paint or Powdercoat?

SimpleMan
Hey everyone!: I'm in a decision making process...and opinions on this one are much appreciated. I need to repaint the bottom of my 48" mower deck of my Sovereign and was interested in the idea of powder coating the underside. All of the prep work has been done as far as removing the blades and spindles and cleaning. THe only thing that needs to be done is the sandblasting and painting/coating. In your opinions...if given the option, which would you chose paint, or powdercoat? Why? Thanks everyone. GordU

BillC
I have been investigating different processes to refinish my mower deck housing and so far I believe the best process is from a local company. Their process is to first sand blast, then place into an oven and heat to 800 degrees to burn off any contaminants, then coat with a thermoplastic.

BradW
Brent, some man did this on his jd, problem was rocks hitting it that hard started to break it, plus water would get trapped between the lining and the deck and rotted it out, my best guess is slip plat coating used on gravity boxes on the bottom of the deck,-BradW

RonT
If you get the underside of the deck sandblasted take it to a local autobody shop that uses PPG paint and have then spray it with their epoxy primer it will prevent rust and holds up very well. You can paint it after or just leave it in the primer. I did a deck for my dad's B-10 three years ago the paint is gone on the underside but the primer is in good shape except for a few rock chips. Ron

ka9bxg
I just had some steel wheels for my standard twin powdercoated and what a nice job.I am getting some chipping on it but what can you expect driving it on concrete.I would say the powder coating is the best way to go.Not cheep but you will never have to touch it again.Now I am wating for the seel for my antique gas pump to come back.Bob