Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Trouble With BGB

Horvik

Hello;

Am using the good used two bevel gears out of a used BGB to make a completely rebuilt unit. Want opinions of how good used gears hold up against brand new(and expensive) ones. I have it on the bench complete and thought I would ask now, prior to all the work of installation. Tractor is 3416 H

Thanks

• Like 1

I actually have a set of used ones that has one gear with a small chip in one tooth that I am loath to get rid of.  I can't see using them it there are other options, but if they were shimmed up right I would bet on them before I would dump a boatload on new gears.

• Like 1

If reusing used gears do not mix and match gears from different BVG's.   Always use the original pair if they are in good shape.  The gears are mated to each other from use.   

Ken

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kenh said:

If reusing used gears do not mix and match gears from different BVG's.   Always use the original pair if they are in good shape.  The gears are mated to each other from use.   

Ken

I've heard that too and I think it's good advice.....  I did that on a recent BGB rebuild (used the donor pair even though only the driven shaft gear was damaged).

As I was assembling the gearbox, since the removed gears were not "match marked", there was no way to know exactly which teeth to mesh so the gear tooth faces were running against their previous "partners".  

So......   does it really make a difference with unmarked gears?  

Edited by PhanDad
Spelling
  • Like 2

And what about determining how many/thick the shim washers should be used?  I assume they are to cut down the lateral movement of the shaft, but how tight, please?

I would like to politely say the design of the bevel gear case does not allow for adjusting the gear lash by shimming. The lash is built into the machining of the case and the gears, along with the dimensional stack up of the parts. The input/driver shaft is placed into the case and a clamp plate is used to hold the rear ball bearing and input shaft in place. No shims are used. On the output/driven shaft, the bevel gear is held is position on the left side by a retaining ring on the shaft. On the right side, up against the bevel gear is a ball bearing, an oil seal, then shims. The shims are used to "fill the gap" left between the oil seal and the side plate to prevent the shaft assembly from moving to the right creating unwanted excess gear lash. The Simplicity Large Frame Garden Tractor Service & Repair Manual states "Stack shim pack so that half the thickness of the thicker shim protrudes the bevel gear case housing machined surface."

• Thanks 1