Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tractorholic signs and symptoms.........

LesH

I just tell my wife it's an investment. I think she almost believed me about a Simplicity 700 until she seen me using stainless bolts on everything and the seat was done over in white leather and stitched so it looks like the original vinyl. Braided stainless fuel line really did it. I just purchased the Simplicity 401 that was on e-bay. I think the only thing she believed was that it wasn't big.

Been taking this post as humorous even though I have an additude about anything a person does with vigor and enthusasium is a 'holic sydrome' in this 'for the children' society nowadays. But don't worry Kent, to quote a wise man, " we're all in this together, and we're pullin for ya"..MPH

Les, I must have a mutated strain of the disease. My tractors have been changed and modified throughout my association with them. A 1961 Wards with 23x10.5x12 tires, a chrome three spoke steering wheel from one of my previous hot rods(thought about wood), wide fenders transplanted from a Dynamark (blasphemy), a 14 Hp Kohler, late moded posi diff, and much more. My machines continually evolve as I see different parts on newer machines, or elsewhere, I want them. We old codgers gotta have toys just like the kids. My next project is to build a front end loader for my AC 716 (motorized wheelbarrow). I have the 61 Wards, the AC 716, a Sears (Roper), and a Murray with a transplanted V-Twin Vanguard engine on it. I live in a sub-division with only one third acre lot. Is this a tractorholic or not. Rod H.

Les, I borrowed some material from a treatment page on the net.....changed a few words..this may help. Am I a tractorholic? Have you ever sold/pawned a valuble item to buy a tractor? Do certain tractor/attachments make you black out? Do you prefer being alone with your tractor? Is your time with your tractor more than with loved ones? do you have a "secret tractor" your spouse isnt aware of? think about it. dougm

Doug, In response to your, "Am I a tractorholic?" Have you ever sold/pawned a valuble item to buy a tractor? Something I own, or some other family members' item? Valuable to who? Valuable in what sense? Do certain tractor/attachments make you black out? Not that I can remember (but if I was blacked out...) Do you prefer being alone with your tractor? I don't think so..... Maybe. Perhaps, on one or two rare ocassions. Is your time with your tractor more than with loved ones? It depends on who is asked. do you have a "secret tractor" your spouse isnt aware of? think about it. I would have to say "no"......... But I wouldn't lie about it if the right questions were posed.

I've found that a dark corner in the "cellar" underneath the barn is a great place to store the newest acquisitions... It's not very easy to see into it, especially if there's bright sunshine outside. Plus, the "threat" of spiders is additional discouragement from prying eyes. Then, if one that you've drug out into the light to get worked on (or parts removed) and gets noticed... you simply say "Oh, that old thing? I've had it for a long time -- it's been under the barn...." Out of sight, out of mind... at least some minds!

Ok guys, just a couple more AA coverted to tractorholic questions this might help...ya never know. (from the net) Has a doctor or nurse ever said they worried about your tractorism? When you feel lonely, does driving your tractor help? Do you have a self imposed rule that you wont drive your tractor until a certain day? And, Kent this ones for you Do you hide your tractorism, or tractors from family members? Hey, im no expert believe me. Just trying to help. It reminds me of the commercial on TV "im not a real doctor, but i play one on Television">

Has a doctor or nurse ever said they worried about your tractorism? One of my wife's friends seemed to agree with my wife's complaints. I think the friend may be a nurse. Does that count? When you feel lonely, does driving your tractor help? Absolutely. When my wife goes shopping on the weekend, I miss her. I mow the lawn while she's gone, so I can spend quality time with her when she returns. What's wrong with that? Do you have a self imposed rule that you wont drive your tractor until a certain day? Yes. I wait to drive my tractor on weekdays or weekends only.

Hi, This is close to the old story about the 2 guys playing gold when a funeral procession drives by the course. One of the players stops and takes off his hat an faces the procession. His partner says: That is very respectful. The guy rplies, Its the least I could do, that is my wife of 42 years. Golly am I going to miss her. Sound familiar?? Al Eden

I think that a true tratoraholic has over 50 tractors(good thing I only have 30) and spends most of there time with them (I have a job that I have to go to)so I can pay for the tractors. How many of you out there will not drive your tractor in the rain and only use it for show and would get upset if some one else wanted to drive it.Some day I might let my daughter drive my wonderboy 700 when she is old enoph (she is only 26 now) In a few years I think I can trust her.My wife thinks that I have a problem but she does come to the shows with me.Glad I don't have a problem.Bob

Hey, if I haven't paid for it yet, technically it isn't mine so no, I don't have a secret tractor...YET. Guess most of the other symptoms fit though....

i just keep all the tractor stuff in a cluttered corner of the garage. makes it difficult to distingush between old and new orange and yellow pieces there. then, when finally confronted - fess up like Kent "oh that old thing, i've had it forever". problem with that approach though is it can thrown back in your face at unsuspecting moments: i was trying to weasel out of going somewhere the other day and said "do you think we really can afford those plane tickets" she replied: "just like we can afford another $100 for a tractor attachment"

Hey MPH, I agree with you, of course this is all in the name of fun, most of us are some kind of "holic" wouldnt you say? who says it has to be a bad thing! Maybe its all in the eye of the beholder, if that was the case I bet my sweet wife would call me a "junkaholic". Yet that stuff is so dear to me! dougm