Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Landlord 2210 muffler

BarryC

Hello,
I have a Simplicity Landlord 2210, which my parents got brand new in 1969, when I was in Kindergarten. I mow the lawns with it at least half a dozen times per season. I got a new muffler from someone on Ebay in May of 2016, and I paid $55 for it. Today it broke apart and fell off, onto the ground, leaving just the pipe sticking out of the engine. I need a muffler ASAP because this is the first chance I've had to mow the lawn in many weeks, and parts of it are nearly knee high. The tractor was out for repair till a week ago, but now this happens. I can't seem to find another muffler anywhere. The original part number is 157634. The one I bought in 2016, that just broke, was a repro. The seller doesn't have any more of them listed. Right now he only has a carburetor listed.
The attached picture is from October of 2013, after the tractor had been out for repair for a long time. I had given my repair guy a long list of things to do on it.
Thanks,
Barry

IMG_9312.JPG

You can get a replacement muffler at tractor supply. It's not a nelson can muffler but it will work.

The contact info for the reproduced Nelson style muffler is: The Muffler Guys, 260-571-7796, bkbowman@my.trine.edu

FYI, the correct length B&S "pepper pot style" muffler is P/N 299477S.

Make sure to use a locknut on the threads. Use a locknut from a male threaded electrical conduit fitting.

Edited by Bill725

Right in the auction for the reproduced mufflers they say "We are done with production and WILL NOT be making anymore, when they are gone they are gone." But they also say to contact Sandy Lake Implement and Wells Implement, which I did after posting the above message. I contacted both of them on their Facebook pages. Wells Implement said they would ask their parts department for me. Sandy Lake Implement told me to call on Monday, and gave me the phone number.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152379149891

I have read that the pepper pot style mufflers get too hot when used on these engines. I read that people are saying that they get cherry red during use. That doesn't sound good to me.

Oh, and the spot where the can broke off the pipe is a perfectly clean break, perfectly round, as if the metal were cut, just like discussed in the first review on that auction page. I was wondering if it would be possible to weld it back onto the pipe.

And about the pepper pot style muffler you mention, Briggs & Stratton has one too. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0038U3K1U/ref=psdc_13789601_t1_B000VYH9YA Oops, this was mentioned above too.

May have to go with a muffler of that style if I can't get one through Sandy Lake Implement or Wells Implement.

Thanks, guys.

Edited by BarryC

Why not do something like this? It worked for 28 years of my ownership and I am sure the guy who bought this from me last month likes it. Also quiets down the "bark" of that one lung 32 cu in engine pretty well

20180601_111001.jpg

2 hours ago, BarryC said:

I was wondering if it would be possible to weld it back onto the pipe.

A competent welder should be able to repair it; using a short inside sleeve at the break would strengthen it. 

1 hour ago, PhanDad said:

A competent welder should be able to repair it; using a short inside sleeve at the break would strengthen it. 

That sounds good. I will save the pipe and can so that can be done. 
LMichaels, your idea looks interesting too.

Thanks.

I had a welder weld a thicker steel plate on backside of the muffler.It cut down on the vibration.Works great

• Like 1

I have been running the B&S pepper pot muffler on my 10HP since the late 70's and never has gotten red hot. A red hot muffler means there is something wrong with the engine not the muffler.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bill725 said:

I have been running the B&S pepper pot muffler on my 10HP since the late 70's and never has gotten red hot. A red hot muffler means there is something wrong with the engine not the muffler.

I've fixed this problem by readjusting the carb. I think it was running too rich.

Thanks for the comments. The last thing I did was to contact the Ebay seller where my repro muffler came from. He was also the manufacturer. His reply was "I've had a few over the years do this. We believe it was the first few off the roll mold because the sharp edge leaves a groove causing them to crack after long vibrations." He also told me that he would send me another if he found one. Then less than a week later I got one in the mail from him.

Thanks for everyone's help and comments.

• Like 2