Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Parts tractor

thedaddycat

Hi all, I got a parts tractor over the weekend that had been advertised as a 10 HP Simplicity. The engine is supposed to be from an A-C and has black paint coming off the original yellow underneath. According to one of the "conversion" (I WENT BACK TO MAKE SURE, IT'S THE "Making 1 out of 2" STORY) stories on the ST site this would be from a Big 10(if I recall correctly) or earlier. The engine numbers are: Model 23 D, Type 0129 02, Code 23242. The grill has the hole for the front PTO and a shallow "vee" at the top (where the emblem goes?). There is a HI/LO pulley that I identified from the same conversion story referenced above. The transmission looks like the one on my 3310, standard 3 speed gear box. The bevel gear box is missing. Both the throttle and choke move right and left, not up and down. The steering wheel is the one with the pie wedge shape out of it. I'm not sure how much is original and how much is from other machines. I looked at pics on the site and am guessing it's from the mid 60's at least. Can anyone help me figure out what I have? Thanks. P.S. The funny thing is I got it mostly for the center PTO I've been looking for and the rear wheels so I can have both turf tires and lug tires to plow with...

Well, I went out to Wally-World and got some stuff called "Goof Off 2"($3.75 for 16 oz. spray bottle) and went at the lower part of the grill with that and a greenie(Scotchbrite scrubber pad). I took off at least 4 layers of paint without too much effort to reveal the original Landlord decal. Those into restoring may want to check out this stuff to clean "new" paint off to get down to the original finish without actually removing it. As stated above, the engine is supposedly from an A-C. I am going to hazard a guess that this is perhaps a 725. I have not decided what to do with the rest of the tractor yet. I am keeping an open mind about that. Thanks for any more information you can add, and thanks to jef and stinky for their input. If you are RESTORING an old A-C to original condition and need the engine, contact me. I may be willing to part with it for a restoration, but not just to put a mix-and-match machine together(I can do that myself). I really don't want to waste these old parts where modern replacements will work just as well. P.S. What I have seems to match pretty well with the B-10 in the "Making 1 out of 2" spread.

Thanks for the tips on removing paint! By the way, that's a 1965 Big Ten in the "Making one out of two" writeup.... The 23D was a 9HP engine used in 1964 for the "Early B-10" and 9HP Landlord. When the HP was increased to 10 (Model 243431 Briggs engine) in 1965, Allis called theirs a Big Ten and Simplicity called theirs a Landlord 101... In late 1966 or early 1967, when Allis introduced the B-12 (coinciding with Simplicity's 2012 Sovereign), Allis went back to calling the 10HP tractor a B-10, adding confusion. We call them early (1964) and late (1966/1967) B-10s. The late model ones are easy to identify since they have a Bumblebee emblem on the side.... I'd guess that if the High-Low pulley system is complete and in good working condition, it is likely the most valuable part of your tractor, not the engine.

Well it sounds like a early B-10 because the 23D is 9hp Briggs. But the grill sounds like a Lanlord if it has a V in the grill? Because Allis's all have one piece grills.

After I sent photos and a better description, Kent has identified this HiLo as looking like it's for a Broadmore. Shaft size is 1" od, 5/8" id, 3/16 keyway. Thanks Kent.