Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity sunstar electrical issue, desperatly needing help

Femmefisher

1 hour ago, CTD01 said:

That sunstar manual has testing the interlock module without the factory tool. I works well. I had an issue with mine and used the test in the book.

Great chart.  It's not in the "Simplicity Electrical Info Manual - 1990" where I got the wiring diagram.  I thinking it must be from the SunStar Repair Manual which I think is available in the "Downloads" section of the site.  

While looking for the above chart, I did find this hand written info about the SunStar PTO switches:

5b4ded51d0737_PTOSwitchInfo.thumb.JPG.8c320f16f345ed3bc02acf8d86550e5a.JPG

You can never have to much info when troubleshooting problems, especially electrical ones.

16 hours ago, PhanDad said:

No, the PTO purple (violet) is the "start" circuit that runs thru the PTO switch (to make sure it's off).  The PTO switch gets power from the black wire that comes from the ignition switch "rectifier" terminal.  

Rather than "run a fused switch to PTO"  black, connect the pink wire from the circuit breaker (downstream side) to the black PTO wire (maybe you can just move the pink wire from the ignition switch terminal to the PTO switch terminal) .

If you do the above, charging system will be removed from the circuit.  The PTO will draw power straight from the battery; when the battery drains down, you'll lose the PTO.  Also, IMO, running an electric PTO with low voltage can cause premature failure.  

If you're happy starting and stopping the engine without using the ignition switch, I'd disconnect the "magneto" and "start" wires from the ignition switch (keeping the "rectifier", "battery", and maybe the "lights" connections) - This would allow the ignition switch to provide power to the PTO (and lights, etc if you leave it wired) AND have the battery charging system working to keep the battery at full voltage.  

BLT video - How to remove wires from connectors:

Phan dad, I am following step by step, but its not working for me can you break this down better? I am disconnecting from switch then reconnecting, pretty confused. need a step by step if possible please

Assuming you can still "jump start" the tractor, I think you only need to do three things.

1) Have the ignition switch wiring harness connector plugged in to the ignition switch. (The "start" and "magneto" terminals can be plugged in or not).

2) Direct ground the "all black" lead of the PTO:

5b4e1365dfac2_PTOGround.JPG.bba94a8a38a26d49312c2854e388d485.JPG

3) Disconnect the blue mag "kill" wire at the engine connector (removing the connector (as I said last night isn't sufficient since other safeties would still be connected, only the ignition switch functionality would be removed from the circuit) :

5b4e1362a24f5_KillWireDisconect.JPG.5caae591332ce1f50bfa14ae2969025f.JPG

After you make these changes, THERE ARE NO SAFETIES ANYMORE.  

When the ignition switch is turned to the "run" position, the charging system and battery will be connected and if you turn on the PTO you should hear it click.  

To shutdown the tractor you'd have to manually ground the white wire at the engine connector.

If you don't care about cutting a wire, an alternate for step 3 would be to cut the blue wire from the safety interlocks to the ignition switch "magneto" terminal:

5b4e175a0145d_CutInterlockKillWire.thumb.JPG.ce69779342fd4aff71d4ea64f9a0c012.JPG

Then the ignition switch would still shutdown the engine when in the "off" positon - BUT STILL NO SAFETIES.

We, it up and running. I had to call in somene. He helped me remove all the saftey switch wiring and rewire it. Took maybe an hour. i will try and draw up a schematic of what we did to share with ya'll and others. Thanks everyone for all the help!!!

On 7/16/2018 at 4:59 PM, PhanDad said:

No, the PTO purple (violet) is the "start" circuit that runs thru the PTO switch (to make sure it's off).  The PTO switch gets power from the black wire that comes from the ignition switch "rectifier" terminal.  

Rather than "run a fused switch to PTO"  black, connect the pink wire from the circuit breaker (downstream side) to the black PTO wire (maybe you can just move the pink wire from the ignition switch terminal to the PTO switch terminal) .

If you do the above, charging system will be removed from the circuit.  The PTO will draw power straight from the battery; when the battery drains down, you'll lose the PTO.  Also, IMO, running an electric PTO with low voltage can cause premature failure.  

If you're happy starting and stopping the engine without using the ignition switch, I'd disconnect the "magneto" and "start" wires from the ignition switch (keeping the "rectifier", "battery", and maybe the "lights" connections) - This would allow the ignition switch to provide power to the PTO (and lights, etc if you leave it wired) AND have the battery charging system working to keep the battery at full voltage.  

BLT video - How to remove wires from connectors:

Phan dad, I am following step by step, but its not working for me can you break this down better? I am disconnecting from switch then reconnecting, pretty confused. need a step by step if possible please