Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Electric PTO harness repair?

jrchrisman300

jrchrisman300

Simplicity Legacy 25 (Kohler 25hp) electric PTO clutch ate the harness wire and plug, is this repairable? 

The clutch itself was working fine, until it ingested the wire harness and plug. First symptom was grey smoke and smell while mowing, I'm guessing vibration rubbed through the wire and caused a short to chassis, which may have fused the wire - or it just got stuck somewhere on the rotating part - and a short while later the entire harness was pulled inside the clutch, including the plastic harness plug, which got eaten. Pictures show what can be seen of the plug inside the clutch, I think if the wire can be repaired the clutch will be otherwise ok. I haven't managed to get the clutch fully apart yet to see if I can get to the attachment points, likely will need to be soldered on at this point. 

Any help or input is appreciated! 

Jeremy 

Resized_20180713_161009_3093_1531512669662.jpeg

20180707_120003.jpg

19 hours ago, jrchrisman300 said:

Simplicity Legacy 25 (Kohler 25hp) electric PTO clutch ate the harness wire and plug, is this repairable? 

If you can get inside the clutch and clean all the debris out and hopefully find the ends of the black (ground) and yellow/black wires, it should be relatively easy to extend the wires (I'd solder the splices and shrink wrap them) and add a new polarity specific connector (connector that can only be plugged together one way) outside of the clutch.  Do the same with the tractor side of the harness.  Check what's left of the tractor side harness for short to ground of the yellow/black wire (+12v) and I'd also visually check the tractor harness wires for "skinning" damage that may move and short to ground.  

If you can't tell which wire was the black and which was the yellow/black, there might be an issue with correct polarity of the clutch winding.  I wouldn't think it would matter, but with newer components, you never know.  Might be that both wires on the clutch side of the connector were the same color.  A check of the tractor's rear clutch or a look at another Legacy should tell.  A check with the clutch manufacturer or maybe a dealer might be required.  Or maybe someone on this forum knows.  

A part of the Legacy wiring diagram with the PTO wiring hi-lighted in dark black:

5b4a1ca8071e9_LegacyPTOWiring.jpg.d04bdbd12efd7e0d772c40ac8bbc5e5f.jpg