Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7117 predator conversion

Gerg

Thanks, I drove it around for awhile and it runs really nice. Next I will put the mower deck on and give it a test, we got a lot of rain over the last couple of days so it should be a good test 

Greg

Hello, It looks great I also repowered  a sovereign with the predator . What adapter did you use to connect the driveshaft to the engine?

I am always looking for different options.

Thanks Ken in Mi

Performance 670 adapter for Kohler engines, it was $49.95. The original 4 bolt adapter bolted right up to it, all I had to do was add two 3/8" locking collars which I used as spacers on the coupler. I had to raise the engine and did that by using 2 (1/2" by 2" flat stock) spacers on both sides of the engine. It did take some time position and reposition the engine to line up the shaft but the height was perfect. 

Greg

No, the original headlights will not work, but I have an idea for lighting ( which I only use on rare occasions in the winter at night blowing snow, I usually wait until daylight) .

Greg

I did the same repower a few years back and love it!  I made a muffler to allow the headlights to work but now I noticed I have some serious heat under the hood.  Can you report on how the stock muffler does with heat management?  My dash is almost too warm to touch.  

That's a good idea to monitor the heat, one thing I noticed was that a lot of heat from the muffler radiated out through the holes where the headlights were, I think that's a good thing. it looks like there is room to put a small pusher fan blade on the crank or a low current drawing electric fan on the grill if needed. There is good air flow coming through the grill from the built in engine fan. I will let you know about the heat after I mow next week.

Greg   

The heat issue under the hood is a good thing to watch for. mine was hot enough on a 85 degree day to make the gas tank swell up and the dash was very hot to the touch.. On my predator conversion I decided to add a couple air deflectors to direct the heat out the front. I did post a picture a while back but will see if I can find it again if anyone is interested.

Found it! This seems to work well for me at last. I did put the foam seal on the hood to stop as much air flow as possible from going rearward. 

heat shield .jpg

• Like 1