Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rough Rider!

Hick

No, not one of Teddy Roosevelt's soldiers, but my Deutz-Allis 1920 (= to Sunstar).
I needed to stack the hay (sweep the lawn) so I hooked up the DA and went at it.
Some background: My yard is 2 acres, and the back acre is rough. I've been using my 216 Deere for 20 years. It has U-shaped springs  / seat mount that gives a pretty good ride.
I replaced it this spring with a Deere X540 rider, and even with the springs set as light as they go, still rough enough that I still can't run as fast as I'd like. And a it is a bit rougher ride than the 216."
So tonight, I hook onto my ancient lawn sweeper that has a 2:1 ratio for the brush. In order to get it to throw good, I have to run fast. 
And the Deutz seat spring system is pathetic!!! Hardly any "spring" at all, so now my (already) bad back is kicking my ass!
So, now what?

2 hours ago, laytonlight said:

If you want to spend the money there are suspension seats such as this one from Northern Tool. It won't take all of the bumps out of the ride but it is said to help quite a bit. There's a dimensional drawing with bolt pattern on the site to see if it will fit your application.

174110_700x700.jpg

The only problem I see with that is that I think you'd be riding awfully high on the tractor. That, and isn't that seat like $700? Link doesn't work for me. 

Deutz-Allis 1920

1 hour ago, Angry Bear said:

The only problem I see with that is that I think you'd be riding awfully high on the tractor. That, and isn't that seat like $700? Link doesn't work for me. 

I'm sure it would put you higher than the factory seat although I'm not sure of the dimensions of the Deutz-Allis 1920. It's $329.00. (on Sale sm04)

39 minutes ago, laytonlight said:

Deutz-Allis 1920

I'm sure it would put you higher than the factory seat although I'm not sure of the dimensions of the Deutz-Allis 1920. It's $329.00. (on Sale sm04)

Wow. Much cheaper than I would have guessed. I've seen similar ones for $700

On 7/17/2018 at 12:11 AM, Hick said:

No, not one of Teddy Roosevelt's soldiers, but my Deutz-Allis 1920 (= to Sunstar).
I needed to stack the hay (sweep the lawn) so I hooked up the DA and went at it.
Some background: My yard is 2 acres, and the back acre is rough. I've been using my 216 Deere for 20 years. It has U-shaped springs  / seat mount that gives a pretty good ride.
I replaced it this spring with a Deere X540 rider, and even with the springs set as light as they go, still rough enough that I still can't run as fast as I'd like. And a it is a bit rougher ride than the 216."
So tonight, I hook onto my ancient lawn sweeper that has a 2:1 ratio for the brush. In order to get it to throw good, I have to run fast. 
And the Deutz seat spring system is pathetic!!! Hardly any "spring" at all, so now my (already) bad back is kicking my ass!
So, now what?

Buy a load of sand and spread over the yard with a drag. In a couple of months the grass will fully cover the sand and your yard will be a lot smoother.A load of sand is alot cheaper than back doctors.

I happen to mow with a Sovereign with wheel weights on all (4) wheels , 50lb JD cast iron weights on the rear and the cast iron mushroom weights on the front, and I was surprised as to how the tractor stuck to the ground.

On 7/22/2018 at 12:32 AM, AC716 said:

Buy a load of sand and spread over the yard with a drag. In a couple of months the grass will fully cover the sand and your yard will be a lot smoother.A load of sand is alot cheaper than back doctors.

The back lot is one acre, so it would take a lot of sand! Plus, we host a motorcycle rally in August and have camper tracks in our sandy soil. 
I saw a suspension seat at TSC for a lot less, but the style is more First Generation John Deere and yellow. Thinking about it for my rough-riding Deere X540, though..