Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

4040 blade bolts???

MPH

Got home from work about 8 tonight and decided I at least had to get the bolts on my 4040blade checked out as it was really loose. Had 1/2 bolts in it, which were worn some but seemed the right size for the holes in the blade. However, the holes in the hitch are about 7/8 in. Is there a pair of bushings missing here? Holes seem to round to just be hammered out that big, I've seen plenty of hammered out holes on this Alaska tractor stuff, seems people up here love to put a 3/8 bolt in a 5/8's hole, fits in the hole with gloves on or something..MPH

Martin Are we talking about the front mounted blade? If so, I can check the bolts on mine if you tell me where they are located. I may also have the parts manual (will need to check on that tomorrow) Ben

Ben, I have a front mounted spring loaded blade, wieghs just over half ton and built like a d-9. The bolts I'm talkin about are the two 'hinge' bolts that hold the blade to the hitch, near the bottom of the blade, thier half inch holes in the blade and about 7/8's in the hitch. seems like there should be a bushing in the hitch holes. I'll see if I can get a clear pic of it as I'm wondering if the holes behind it are used for some other attachment. Thanks.. MPH http://a1.cpimg.com/image/5B/13/9587291-66ec-028001E0-.jpg

Mph You are right about the bushings, there should be one on each side. The Simplicity part number is : Spacer 174061. My manual also shows two hex head bolts, but does not give the size. My blade had been rebuilt by the previous owner and 1/2"x 2" clevis pins and cotter pins are where the bolts should be. My bushings which are steel may not be original. The dimensions are OD-.755, ID-.530 and length is .755. They are pitted on the OD, so perhaps they were of a larger diameter when new. My blade also has the secondary holes which has a piece of pipe between them as shown in your photo. Perhaps simplicity had thought about using that in someway to lock the blade in place for heavy dirt dozing. Sorry I don't have access to a scanner or I would email the parts page. Hope this helps. Ben