Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

This is interesting,,onan cckb wiring....

SmilinSam

Hey guys, what are the results when someone puts a newer single unit regulator/rectifier on a cckb system that uses the seperate regulator and rectifier.... and then uses both it and the original regulator at the same time?????????

Why would you want to? Running two in parallel is just asking for trouble. Improper sensing voltages and currents, and the possibility electrical current loops putting the whole system into never-never-land. Use one system or the other, but not both together. Rod H.

Hey Sam -- where did you get the newer 2-in-1 rectifier/regulator? What did it cost you? I am rewiring my 720, and I might like to go the all-in-one route. MDD

Hi, we have converted both of our tractors and a couple of customers to a single wire system. It requires cutting a whole in the rear left of the engine shroud. You have to find a rewind shop that will rewind the internal coil to match a kohler. Then you can use the standard kohler regulator rectifier in the whole cut in the engine sheild. The hole has to be cut in to insure proper cooling. Hope this helps. Neal

No no No, I don't want to do that, On the 720 I am re-doing, I have noticed that the reg/rectifier the previous owner installed in an attemp to fix the charging problem was the same single unit thats on a newer Onan Performer I have. The whole charging circuit and all the components test out as "fried" on the 720 and I was wondering if this installation was the culprit because this installation ws not supposed to be...........

Hmmm, Seems the CCK's had two systems. The CCKA (15 amp) it was a one unit deal. An aluminum finned jobbie. On the CCKB (20 amp)it had all separates (regulator & rectifier). They (of course) had different flywheels & stators too. He may have tried to 'cobble' in the performa system into the CCK system. From what I hear, it's hard enough to work wit let alone adding MORE 'stuff'..... JP