Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Yeoman for restoration

Brettw

I picked up this guy yesterday, and it is a good candidate for a complete restoration.  Doesn't run, but has compression.  SOmething wrong with the trans, rolls no matter what gear it's in, so a sheared pin or bad diff I am assuming.  Otherwise, other than the patina of surface rust, it's in pretty good overall condition, I think .  I started my "career" of lawn mowing on one just like this.  The neighbor had one of these and I would use it to cut his grass for him.  Did an excellent job as I recall, and is probably what promted my dad to eventually buy a Broadmoor.  This is probably close to 50 years ago.

IMG_3831.JPG

IMG_3832.JPG

Talntedmrgreen

That actually looks to be in incredible, original condition.  I bet you would be amazed what some elbow grease would do!  That white will come out looking like new in 30-40 minutes with a soak in this: (I squirt it on and spread evenly with a cheap foam brush.  Then rinse thoroughly) 

5b507cfe1b53d_krudkutter.jpg.07e97510fad584027cd5ecf9ca73327e.jpg

7 hours ago, Brettw said:

I picked up this guy yesterday, and it is a good candidate for a complete restoration.  Doesn't run, but has compression.  SOmething wrong with the trans, rolls no matter what gear it's in, so a sheared pin or bad diff I am assuming.  Otherwise, other than the patina of surface rust, it's in pretty good overall condition, I think .  I started my "career" of lawn mowing on one just like this.  The neighbor had one of these and I would use it to cut his grass for him.  Did an excellent job as I recall, and is probably what promted my dad to eventually buy a Broadmoor.  This is probably close to 50 years ago.

IMG_3831.JPG

IMG_3832.JPG

might be a dumb question but is there a drive belt on it?would roll in gear withoutone, Also I might have a spare trans if you end up needing one

Not a dumb question at all, but yes there is a drive belt.  Wheels turn, pulley does not.  So something's amiss.   And I will have to see how it cleans up.  I know some guys like them completely original even if a bit a rusty, and some take them to better than new.  It's for the grand kids, so we will see.  

And, I will have to try the "Krud Kutter" stuff.  f it works that good, maybe we stay "original" and leave it at that!

6 hours ago, bud119195 said:

Also I might have a spare trans if you end up needing one

Thanks, Todd,  I will let you know.  It's going to be a bit, I picked this up becuase I couldn't pass on the deal, but I have pretty full plate with work, and 4 other tractos that need some "help" in order to get them to the point of ready for sale.  3 Sovereigns, but each one needs something.  But, that's the fun of this!