Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Is there a serial number list?

SimpleB10

I have a B10 that I believe to be a 1965 from the date written inside the book.  I've looked around and have found discussion concerning serial numbers and the fact that it seems to be somewhat daunting to try and figure out the year of manufacture.  If anyone has a list or knows where I can find the info, I would greatly appreciate it.  Pretty certain the year 1965 is correct for mine because I bought it from the original owner who bought it new but, you just never know.  My serial number is 027112.  I also need to locate a good seat for it.  I put a new grill on it a few years ago and after the new seat is on, it wont be touched.  It's just in too good of original condition to mess with it.  Thanks for any help.

Usually the best indication of the year of manufacture is the date code on the engine (obviously the original engine is required).  

• Like 2

Thanks. My engine numbers are as follows:

model: 230

type: 0129 02

SN:73094

thats the best I can do reading through the grill. 

I'm not "hands on" familiar with AC/Simplicity tractors before the AC B-110, so hopefully someone will confirm (or correct) the following.

I think the model is a 23D; I believe that's the original engine for an early B-10.

Based on these charts from the "Research" section of our site:

https://simpletractors.com/research/cross-reference/ac-to-simpliicity/ac_s_pg1/

https://simpletractors.com/research/reference-info/engine-reference/engine__landlord/

(There aren't any engine lists for AC tractors, or if there are, this site doesn't have them)

The "equivalent" Simplicity model is a 990308 or 990314.

Engine should be a model 23D; type 129-01

In later model Briggs engines, after the type number, there's a code number.  It's usually 7 or  8 digits like this from my 1978 7016H Briggs engine:

IMG_8987.thumb.JPG.73c277705df63862a4e8d7dfec5888a2.JPG

It's translated as:

77 - year of manufacture

09 - month of manufacture

29 - date of month of manufacture

1 - manufacture plant number (can be 2 digits)

The numbers you list as "SN" don't make any sense

Unless the engine isn't original.

Edited by PhanDad
fixed 2nd link

Interesting. I got the history of that tractor since it was new so I’m sure everything on it is original including the engine. That said, I was looking thru the grill with a flashlight so I very well could have misread numbers. I’ll have to double check over the weekend. I also want to double check with the original owner and make sure that engine is original. Thanks for the input. 

23D would have been in the 1964 Landlord with the black cowl, and the 1964 B-10 with the white colored hood decals and a AC emblem in the grill that was like the big tfarm tractors of that era used.

The serial numbers on the 23D( or other model 23 variants) were not oriented like the later engines. You  didnt have date codes show up until the 240000 series models came out

Edited by SmilinSam

Oh right, now that I look again. What he is seeing as model 230 could well be model 23D which would fit the bill as original. 

Sounds like you have a very, very late build of an early B-10 (1964 model) that was built in 1965.  Typically, the next 'model year' began to be seen in the fall of the year prior, and serial numbers from engines have seemed to follow that trend.  Your Briggs was built in Jan of 1965, so your info is accurate.  The engine would ahve been the type used in what is considered the early, 1964 B-10.  

1 hour ago, Talntedmrgreen said:

Sounds like you have a very, very late build of an early B-10 (1964 model) that was built in 1965.  Typically, the next 'model year' began to be seen in the fall of the year prior, and serial numbers from engines have seemed to follow that trend.  Your Briggs was built in Jan of 1965, so your info is accurate.  The engine would ahve been the type used in what is considered the early, 1964 B-10.  

That's great, thank you!  Here's a picture of my little gem.  Thing still runs and cuts beautifully.  It's an after market grill but it still looks good.  I think that's the most this tractor has ever had done to it.

AC B10.JPG

Edited by SimpleB10
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, SimpleB10 said:

I have a B10 that I believe to be a 1965 from the date written inside the book.  I've looked around and have found discussion concerning serial numbers and the fact that it seems to be somewhat daunting to try and figure out the year of manufacture.  If anyone has a list or knows where I can find the info, I would greatly appreciate it.  Pretty certain the year 1965 is correct for mine because I bought it from the original owner who bought it new but, you just never know.  My serial number is 027112.  I also need to locate a good seat for it.  I put a new grill on it a few years ago and after the new seat is on, it wont be touched.  It's just in too good of original condition to mess with it.  Thanks for any help.

For the best resource for seat cushions:

• Mary Gearheart (Yellowbee) a SimpletrACtor club member, can be contacted at kmgeartheart@juno.com   She does an excellent job making these cushions
  • Brenda at Sandy Lake Implement  https://sandylakeimp.com/parts/  Sandy Lake Implement is a site sponsor and very responsive to club member requests

History of Allis-Chalmers & Simplicity 

Hope these help