Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tractor slows down going uphill and brake clutch pulls forward

davidmoll

Guys, my 6216 tractor still slows down going up hills and the clutch/brake pedal moves forward.  When I pull back the pedal manually the tractor speed returns to normal as long as I keep holding it back.  I replaced the drive belt last fall and it helped for a little bit but know its back to the way it was.  Any suggestions?

Thanks Dave 

Hello,

The 6216 has the vari-drive on it.  On that set-up, you need to do the clean and lube of the variable pulleys regularly.  It is described in the owners manual, which you can download if you don't have one.  Also, there is an adjustment on the spring that pulls back the clutch pedal.  It sounds like you need to tighten that spring so there is more pressure pulling the pedal back.  If you look under the tractor you will see the adjustment, easy to find and work on.

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys, I did adjust the tension on the spring before I mowed on Saturday and it was a bit better.  I didn't want to go to far all at once.  Will adjust further.  I didn't know about the clean and lube of the variable pulleys and i have the manual and will look for it.

Thanks Dave