Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

PhanDad

Question for Snowmobilers

PhanDad

Just saw this pic in BLT's "Huge Sale" post in the Craigslist forum:

00z0z_joUB5x8u37j_1200x900.jpg

When was it made?

Looks like there's another one, but a different model in the background.

PhanDad
16 minutes ago, fishnwiz said:

I would be a whole lot more accurate on my guess if I just read the ad.:ph34r:

Guess I wouldn't have asked the question if I read the ad

:ph34r::ph34r:

• Haha 2

spi

My Mom rode one just like that! It seemed that  it spent as much time on its side as its track.

They had a wider track than most sleds and would go through a pile of snow, also one of the first machines I remember seeing with reverse,. It needed it as it took two men and a boy to lift it.

I remember once she drove it into the ice and didn't stop until the water was almost to the top of the seat. It seems that it took five of us an hour to get it out. It was well below zero and my boots were frozen solid by the time I got home.

Just goes to prove, no one has more fun than people.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

MikeES

The style was the same from 1967 to 1970.  Johnson made one just like it "Ski horse" but different colors, green and orange.  They had a 20" track, but were still very tippy with the narrow ski stance.  They had an opposed twin with Optional electric start and reverse.  Large storage under the seat. 

We had the 1968 Johnson that had all the options, including cigar lighter.  And the exhaust was piped out the back and under the seat to help heat it.  Very nice smooth running, but a lousy snowmobile, couldn't steer it (sitting on blacktop the skis bearly touch the ground) constantly getting stuck (too heavy even with the wide track), and couldn't keep  up with even a 12hp  Ski-Doo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

spi
On 7/28/2018 at 10:16 PM, MikeES said:

The style was the same from 1967 to 1970.  Johnson made one just like it "Ski horse" but different colors, green and orange.  They had a 20" track, but were still very tippy with the narrow ski stance.  They had an opposed twin with Optional electric start and reverse.  Large storage under the seat. 

We had the 1968 Johnson that had all the options, including cigar lighter.  And the exhaust was piped out the back and under the seat to help heat it.  Very nice smooth running, but a lousy snowmobile, couldn't steer it (sitting on blacktop the skis bearly touch the ground) constantly getting stuck (too heavy even with the wide track), and couldn't keep  up with even a 12hp  Ski-Doo.

Way to hit all the high spots, other than all that it was a great machine!

• Like 1

rich_kildow

Going off memory, I want to say 69's had that tube bumper, but they also had the two-tone hood.  So it may not be all original, but everybody else already nailed the time frame and traits of that model.