Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Joe Ciarci

Simplicity Legacy Repower

Joe Ciarci

2001 Legacy with Kohler ch20 in need of new motor . Confused by all the different models available which have changed some . Which is the actual new version matched for my tractor ? 

Bill725

I am pretty sure the Kohler Command CH20 direct replacement engine is a CH640-3126 (20.5 HP). To confirm, call Kohler service. $1725 new from Pats Small Engine Plus. I just replaced my Triad in my Sovereign with one.

LMichaels

Yeah I was going to ask......................Unless you're trying to do it on the cheap and use a Predator why not just use another Command and keep things simple?

Joe Ciarci

Thanks I’ll look into Pats . Many of the motors on the sites show either “ no shaft “ or no shaft extension .  The owners manual I have does not give any shaft dimensions. I downloaded a manual and even that seems confusing . I would love to go with the predator at harbor freight but it only has a 1” shaft . Trying to keep things inexspensive . My tractor has almost 1600 hours . Im concerned about spending $2000 and then have the transaxle go , another front pto bearing and so on . 

SmilinSam

Another alternative is to buy a running off brand tractor with a command in it, rob the engine out of it,  then sell or scrap the remains. In the past my kid has bought a couple of Cub Cadets with 18hp commands for under $250 that ran fine, but the rest of the tractor fell apart around the engine. I took one of them and put in a 99 Legacy with a 48" deck. Its still running and mowing., though we have had to repair a number of other things on the tractor after installing the engine. That tractor has about 1500 hours on it.

Edited by SmilinSam
  • Like 1

PhanDad

If you're interested in new, then an option is to buy something like this:

https://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/part/kohler/pach6203100?gclid=eaiaiqobchmikpoq1i253aiva5-fch1ncak2eaqybsabegkvd_d_bwe

And swap all the tin, etc from the old engine that makes it "OEM" to the new engine.  Since you're re-powering a Legacy, you'd have to make sure the shaft is the same as your engine.  The engine listed above does have one of, it not the most, common shafts.

Joe Ciarci

Another twist , I had the tractor looked at by a local simplicity dealer . Along with the motor having 50 % leakdown on one cylinder and 100% on the other I’m told the splines on the driveshaft are shot and it needs to be replaced . That is why the tractor is vibrating so much . Shaft is $280 plus labor.  If splines are shot can anyone give me an idea if the hydro unit will be affected ? I’m wondering if I should spend the money and let them replace only the shaft ,operate the tractor for a while to see if the hydro unit is okay before I go any further even at the expense of pulling the motor to replace the driveshaft and then doing it again to replace the motor .