Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

deebig

Varidrive belt

deebig

Looking for recommendation of best place to purchase vari-drive belt 1"x54".  Mine appears to look fairly new but it is 7/8" wide instead of 1" so IDK if it is worn or if  previous owner put wrong belt on it. MTD has a 54" x 7/8 vari-drive belt that is a lot cheaper and I'm thinking that is what I have.

GardenTrACtorguy

This was in my b112 Manuel when I bought it.  These are the belt numbers I used for when I bought my new belt when it shredded a bit.  I personally bought from my local simplicity dealer for about $80.  I don’t know it you could go to Napa and get a cheaper on with those dimensions.  Just my 2 cents.

image.jpg

steve-wis

I also needed a belt for my 3112V.  The old one is also about 7/8 wide.  I ordered my new one from Jacks Small Engines, it is $69.95.  The guys on ebay who usually sell these are sold out as far as I could find.  I don't know how narrow you can run the belt, mine is still working but you will have a greater spread between fast and slow with a wider belt.  If you use the number 164080 on jacks it will tell you the updated number.  

I will post when I get the new belt and get it on about improvements.

Steve

deebig
1 hour ago, steve-wis said:

I also needed a belt for my 3112V.  The old one is also about 7/8 wide.  I ordered my new one from Jacks Small Engines, it is $69.95.  The guys on ebay who usually sell these are sold out as far as I could find.  I don't know how narrow you can run the belt, mine is still working but you will have a greater spread between fast and slow with a wider belt.  If you use the number 164080 on jacks it will tell you the updated number.  

I will post when I get the new belt and get it on about improvements.

Steve

Thank you steve,good answer. I have the parts manual and know the part number,was looking for best price. My research also led me to Jacks and SEPW. Like I said I am not sure if the current belt is worn down to 7/8 or wrong belt. Yes my spread is limited.....slips on 1st click. Also it does not always release in neutral keeping the driven pulley spinning. Tried adjusting and improved it some but not completely. Belt appears to be too limber to where it falls back into sheave on drive pulley. I can spray marvel mystery oil on it and it works slick as a whistle for awhile.......probably b/c there is enough lubrication that drive pulley can't "grab" belt

steve-wis

New belt should be 1 inch wide. Also I have found belts for about 26 bucks, but description says “rubber belt” which I assume won’t last long.

deebig
10 hours ago, steve-wis said:

New belt should be 1 inch wide. Also I have found belts for about 26 bucks, but description says “rubber belt” which I assume won’t last long.

I would think rubber would also be "tacky"....not a good thing when you de-clutch!  I have thought about taking driver pulley apart and polishing the sheaves to see if that would help.

steve-wis

My pulleys are a bit rusty also, just put this tractor together from two donors.  Not sure if that makes it better or not, mine seems to be working ok.

They should shine up pretty fast if you use the tractor much, I would think.  I lubed the pulleys so they slide easier.  Mine have some wear and are not real tight, front one rattles when clutch is pushed in, but I am thinking a wider belt might help that as well.

deebig

Well after adjusting 6 ways to Sunday I finally ordered a new belt from SEPW. I was getting really tired of grinding gears. If I shifted past neutral gate quickly it would go into gear w/o clashing...BUT....if I left it in neutral too long the driven pulley would spin. I will update results.

deebig

Installed the new belt today, took all of 2 minutes. WOW all my issues went away. Full range of speeds and NO noise or clashing of gears. $70 well spent....should have replaced it long ago.