Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

johndeereman19

Agco Allis 1920h

johndeereman19

Hello I'm the new owner of a agco allis 1920h and I could use some help on it. It's got a few problems that I need to fix but over all is a good start. I just bought it and have only mowed with it for roughly an hour and have a few problems. The first thing I tried to find was a service manual for it I was able to find a engine manual from Koehler but nothing for the tractor except a owners manual. It needs deckwheels they appear badly worn and the fuel gauge does not work. It also has the problem of once your mowing it gets hot and if you shut the mower off it will not start again until it is cold again. My grandfather had a deutz version of this year's ago and it did the same thing as I remember but I can't remember how he fixed it and he's gone now so I can't ask him unfortunately. The motor fires right up though cold with no smoke and runs great with 1025 hours it the Koehler command ch20. I believe it to be the coils just as a hunch. But I also remember a shroud from the oil cooler that mated up to the hood when closed and this one does not have that. Did they stop putting them on a some point or is this one missing causing the motor to get hot? I was hoping to find a way to test the coils. The oils been changed and deck greased up before I bought it and I will be changing the hydrostatic fluid and filter soon any thing else I should check? I know this is kinda long but thanks for any help.

Cityboy

My dad has this same tractor. It just refused to start (no spark) a couple of years ago. Replaced the coils and it has worked fine since. Had to do the same fix on my Legacy XL 27 horsepower. It had symptoms more like yours.

We had issues with the driveshaft bearings on the deck until I replaced them with self-aligning bearings. Good luck with your machine!

johndeereman19

I have one other problem I didn't mention earlier, my headlights don't work. The wiring up front had been rubbing on the belt at some point and broke a wire. I figured no big deal I can fix that. I repaired the damage turn the key and hit the switch and still nothing. I used my test leads on the wires from where the headlights plug into the wiring harness so I know they work. I used my test leads on both wires going to the switch and tried both ways and no lights come on then so I'm not really sure what else to try next any ideas?

johndeereman19

Ok stupid me figured it out. Even if your not using the switch and using leads to a battery you still have to turn the key on for power duh! 

Hick

Just saying that I like your handle! My JD count is 3, and I have a D-A 1920. (click on my sig line pix, the 216 Deere is not in the lineup)
The shroud you mention is missing; they were plastic and broke easily. Mine is missing also, but since I don't mow with it, no biggie. 
My fuel gauge has a broken hand and I cannot find a replacement.

Edited by Hick

johndeereman19

I have found replacement ones but there around 50bucks I don't want to buy something I don't know is bad. A lot of the parts are still avalible but not all.