Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Fuel pump issue command 16hp REMEDY.

fishnwiz

I was cutting with my early 90s  16hp command when my engine started to starve for fuel.  Seemed to me fuel pump failure so I pulled the mechanical pump and replaced it with a brand new spare.  NOTHING. Pump is in working order so I put old pump back in...NOTHING. It seems the pump arm is NOT hitting the lobe. The lobe is present and turning but pump arm does NOT seem to hit it with any pressure???  Usually when I install a pump there is tension on the pump arm. I cannot get the lobe up against the pump arm to activate the pump?  Anyone see or have this issue ??   Motor runs like a top for 5 years NO ISSUES. Could cam lobe be that worn as to not activate the fuel pump??   NEVER had this problem before?? 

I installed another pump and again no fuel pressure on the outlet side of the fuel pump...engine starves for fuel..Blew lines clear..no kinks noticeable in the fuel line or blockage in the tank.

Edited by fishnwiz

Also,

Any of you guys who have done electric fuel pump conversions....I need info on what size fuel pump I am goint to need...I assume its low pressure of 2 psi or less? Most are 2 to 5 psi and I am a little leary of getting too high of pressure on this 16hp Command vertical carb.  Anyone have a link to a pump that they may have purchased to make the conversion? Thanks  

Edited by fishnwiz

You could maybe put a vacuum style fuel pump on. My allis 1920 I believe had a mechanical pump like on the valve cover but came with the vacuum style or pulse. Just need a source for the pulse line and your in business. I think the  2 to 5 psi pump would be fine as well.  You could put a toggle switch on the electric pump so you can shut it off if you need,  say at idle. At full tilt I doubt there would be too much fuel.

Harry

Thanks Harry

I was thinking of running power from the fuel bowl selanoid , that way when I cut power to ignition,  the fuel pump shuts off instantly. 

Think I will try to go with electric pump...kits are very inexpensive compared to the other mechanical pumps.

I really can't imagine the lobe on the motor that drives the mechanical style pump, wearing down before the pump arm itself. 

Can't imagine what else could be the cause of no fuel pressure at pump outlet other than a blocked fuel tank or severe air leak in the fuel line?

That does seem odd with the lobe. If it in fact wore down so to speak I would be concerned with metal fragments in the oil and crankcase. Hard to imagine what else would be the problem tho.... Maybe drain the oil and snake a small thin magnet in the drain hole and see what you find...can't hurt.

As for the source for power it is sometimes nice to kill the pump for various reasons on its own with the engine still running. Like for winter storage, getting most of that crap fuel we have now days out of the carb. 

Good luck

Harry

• Thanks 1

This one has thrown me for a loss.?? Can't believe it's the lobe either. 

When I operate all 3 of the pumps by hand, they work fine. I left gas cap off of tank in case it was a fuel line/tank issue...STILL no go??>:(

So I did attempt to remedy my fuel pump issues by replacing the crappy mechanical fuel pump with an electric. I bought a 2.5 psi electric pump on ebay for 10 dollars with shipping. Had to replace inlet and outlet nipple with 1/4 " fittings that I purchased at ACE Hardware for 4 dollars. 

I have a early Broadmore with a 16hp Kohler Command. This particular model has a electric selnoid on the bottom of the carb bowl that prevents backfire at shutdown. I figured I might as well wire to the hot wire on the selnoid so when I turned the ignition,  the plunger inside the bowl drops down and the pump kicks on at the same time. Needless to say...IT WORKS LIKE A CHARM. . 

No leaks and tractor runs better than ever. Sure beats the heck out of a 50 to 80 dollar mechanical replacement from Kohler. 

1532825531356704072738.jpg

1532825594941-375156056.jpg

• Like 3

Any time I had a fuel pump failure on a Kohler, it was a plugged fuel filter.
The last time, it was

(i'm embarrassed to say it!)

out of gas

Edited by Hick
  • Haha 2

On 7/28/2018 at 11:59 PM, Hick said:

Any time I had a fuel pump failure on a Kohler, it was a plugged fuel filter.
The last time, it was

(i'm embarrassed to say it!

out of gas

Replaced the filter BEFORE I ordered the pump. Same symptoms. 

Never in the 4 years since I bought this tractor has it ever run any better than it does now.??

Edited by fishnwiz
  • Like 1