Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

How can I??

BradW

Herb, there wouldn't be a clue in your postmasters statement why they have money problems all the time would there???MPH

Those paid federal holidays add up too, not to mention they seem to invent a new one every year............... My post masters door says open till 5:00pm, yet the door is locked by 4:30. Reason given to me was thatt hey just have too much work to do for the 5:00 pick up to mess with late afternoon customers..........does it add up??????

Go visit the shipping office, with the sickle mower, if you can. Ask plenty of questions, and do your own research. I'll be shipping quite a few grader blades. After a lot of beating around the bush, my local post master demanded that I construct a wooden case to ship each blade. Reason: "Protection of postal service personnel". When I didn't argue, he finally said, "Look pal, the United States Postal Service really doesn't want to handle that thing, and I'll make it as difficult as possible for you." UPS and FedEx will ship the blade if it's just wrapped in cardboard. However, I have one customer who ordered 2 blades. UPS wanted almost FOUR (4) times as much to ship TWO (2) blades together as for each ONE (1) seperately. With a sickle bar, they bend pretty easy. I think I'd crate it or at least splint it up with some wood.

Hi guy's, seeing that Dave the winner of my auction lives in NY I will have to get the sickle mower shipped, what is the best way to have it shipped and what companies are reccomended? he has to pay shipping and I want it to be as cheap for him as it can be! I know of a man that hauls things from Nebraska and was going to see how much that would cost but I will have to find out, any help will be appreciated, thanks much,-BradW

Hi Brad, I didn't check what your sickle mower weighs, but I've been able to have UPS ship items greater than 120lbs to Washington State from the East Coast. I believe their max weight is 150lbs. If you have a local business nearby where UPS regularly stops (e.g. a neighborhood grocery store) and Dave has a business address you can send to (I'm not sure this latter part is even necessary) try this: 1. Look at the mower and determine what the smallest dimension package you could break it down to pack it in without too much hassle. 2. Determine the total package weight. 3. Log onto ups.com and select the Rates option. 4. Leave the default "Non Residential" option checked, Input "Your Packaging", "Daily Pickup", your height/width/length dimensions, weight, and zip codes. 5. Scroll to the bottom of the list of rates they quote. They show you the most expensive options first. The UPS Ground option should display the cheapest rate and this should be accurate. I've had a dozer blade shipped cross country for, I believe, $56. Possibly Sam or someone can clarify, but the "One Time Pickup" option is a bit more expensive but still in the same ballpark. I don't know what flexibility that buys you. It gets substantially more expensive if you choose any other UPS option. Good luck - Jeff

Works best if you take it apart at the bar. Put the hitch/drive in one box and the bar/divider board in a second box. Ithink there are 4 bolts to take off and unhook one end of the pitman arm.

Thanks for the info Jeff and Sam, he said he doesn't need it right away so I just want to find the best way, thanks,-BradW