Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Cutting deck hole repair.........

LesH

Les, I'm going to try fiberglass on one of my decks. I'm sure it won't meet OPEI specs for retaining blade thrown projectiles like rocks, but I'm not covering very big holes. I have used fiberglass to patch rust holes in other parts of tractors. It sure is easier to get looking nice than welding in a patch. Jeff Snyder

I am restoring this Serf 515, it cuts great, but has some large rust holes in the deck. The holes are at the curved top of the deck. Would fiberglass repair work (or be strong enough) to get the curve right?? MIG welding would be the normal way to make the repair.

Personally, I would have it welded, if I couldn't do it myself. Even brazing would be much stronger than fiberglass. Having said that, my father used a medium-grade bondo-type product, like "White Lightning," if I'm not mistaken, to FILL IN THE HOLE IN THE CRANKCASE to the 31/2 hp. Briggs on his rototiller. And this was many years ago, and it held, w/ admittedly light/infrequent use. He used like 1/4" opening, heavy screen to reinforce the patch, gobbing it on both sides. You would think the hot oil would make it fail, but not yet. My point is, I don't think it's safe, projectile wise, on a mower deck, but you could do it. Heavy reinforcment is a must, and everything must be c-l-e-a-n.

My opinion, patch with metal,finish with fiberglass. I've patched mower decks with steel hammered into shape and braze in place...Woody

ABSOLOUTLY use metal for the patch, then try the fiberglass for the bond. Metal and the glass resins do expand at different rates, so watch for cracking.