Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

simplewrench

Rough Running Landlord

simplewrench

I use a 1964 Landlord for most of my mowing. It does have a replacement 12 h.p. Cast iron Briggs, it runs excellently until it gets real hot then it starts to spit and sputter and miss. Do you think it could be the coil or condenser or points. I kind of thought that these coils were either good or not, but i know the old coils under the flywheel could stop working when they got hot. I had that issue on my 725 a few years ago. I even thought valve adjustment but it really seems electrical. let me know your thoughts.

brokenwrench

if you have to change the points buy a nova 2 ignition module it is cheaper than points and delivers hotter spark just buy a longer bolt for the point cover and it fits just fine just connect the wire from the coil and kill wire to the positive spade and the other  to a good ground

BLT

Spitting, sputtering and backfiring is also a symptom of poor fuel flow, I.E. crud plugging fuel line and screen in fuel tank fitting. Just sayin'

lugnard

When it's doing the sputter while hot, if you have a timing light, especially one that hooks to 12 volt source,  put it on the plug wires and look at the flashes. Never mind about any timing issue just to see the quality of the spark at the time. Might rule out bad coils....or rule it in!!!

Harry

MARK (LI)

did you check the spark plug? ...sometimes when hot the electrode can warp and expand enough to close up and cause bad intermittent spark