Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

DaveTenney

Simplicity 3212h questions

DaveTenney

I have been looking for an HB112 or a 3212H for a few years, and finally found one this summer. This one has the wrong hood on it, but I can deal with that. It has a hydro lift and headlights which are worth about a $100 less than I paid for the tractor. I did pretty good on it, but it has a few issues.

The major issue is that hydro is a little sluggish in reverse. I have adjusted it so that it doesn't creep. When you move it into reverse it is not as powerful as it is in forward. 

So far I have not noticed any leaks or weird noises. I was planning on changing the fluid and filter to see if that helps. 

Any other ideas? I'm new to these Vickers and don't know a lot about them. In forward this thing pulls like a freight train. Reverse seems like it has about 50 percent of the power in forward. 

It also has a bolt through the pintle shaft shown on the 3rd picture. Any idea what that is for?

Thanks in advance guys. I don't have a lot of experience with this version of these tractors. Still on the learning curve!

Dave

20180730_192938.jpg

20180730_192840.jpg

20180730_192852.jpg

20180730_192922.jpg

PhanDad
12 hours ago, DaveTenney said:

The major issue is that hydro is a little sluggish in reverse. I have adjusted it so that it doesn't creep. When you move it into reverse it is not as powerful as it is in forward. 

I have the same issue with the 3416H Vickers I transplanted into my Homelite T-12 (after an axle tube break).  The tractor will reverse "normally" on level ground, but if backing up a hill, it takes full travel of the hydro control lever to get it moving slowly.  

I've posted about the issue previously and had no responses; I'm thinking if the Vickers has a "reverse" relief valve (something similar to the Sundstrand "free wheel valves", maybe the reverse one is leaking.  I just live with it since it moves fine forward.

As to the bolt in the rear of the pintle shaft, it looks like a few washers were added against the casing and the bolt is keeping the pintle shaft as far back as it will go and stop all axial shaft movement.  Maybe to help minimize rear pintle shaft leakage if o-rings are clamped between the washer and casing in the back and likewise in the front between the control arm and casing.  

The tractor (and deck) appear to be in great condition.  Excellent score!