Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Operating Temperature

GardenTrACtorguy

I have finally gotten my k361 running correctly(new coil and condenser).  Now on to the oil leak, but I would like to know the head temp that would be expected while running.  I know the oil should be around 180-200 degrees but the range of temp on the head?  I have got anywhere from 250-311 degrees on the head and 159 on top of the ohv cover.

Anything under 500 degrees is OK. I say that thinking about a thermal couple sensor in place of the spark plug washer. This reading may be considerably hotter than the fins.

Going way back I can remember my Army training, (construction equipment operator) air cooled engines run @ 500 and water cooled engines run @ 200. Certain things just stick with you.

Thanks kwt, I just want to know so I don’t over heat this engine.  We farm so I am around big Diesel engines running around 200.  I never would have thought he head temp on that engine would be that hot!

54 minutes ago, GardenTrACtorguy said:

Thanks kwt, I just want to know so I don’t over heat this engine.  We farm so I am around big Diesel engines running around 200.  I never would have thought he head temp on that engine would be that hot!

It is an air cooled engine and their operating temperature is all over the board due to a lack of a cooling thermostat . Being that the air cooled engine people don't know where their product end up, they are probably tested to operate in an environment of 130 deg F , strictly a guess. They keep that number to their chest,  because if it was ever published,  those engine people would be besieged service questions. As long as the fins are clean you should be good to go.  On most Diesel  engines today, they operate in 190-195 degree range as do highway trucks.

The only debris in the fins currently is oil seepage from the ohv.  That will be fixed this winter in the shop. Meanwhile I will keep an eye on the fins to see if they are clean. The only annoying thing about the oil leak is that the air blowing through the head blows the oil toward the muffler and burns off.