Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hot Hot Hot

Terry9

Recently, read a post with a similar problem. The choke was sticking partially open, and as soon as the machine heated up the over rich mixture was trying to kill it.....Good luck Art

could be a condensor breaking down when it gets hot. I assume you pulled the plug and checked it again and replaced the fuel filter. ddh

I'd also heard about using a colder plug..... I've had bad luck with automotive condensers, so that could be a culprit. Gas flow is fine,choke doesn't stick, it seems to run okay lean (idle), so I'd think that any overrich is due to diminished spark. Thanks for your input on this! Terry

I had to pick the hottest day of the year so far to mow I guess. (lower 90's) The victim: 10 horse Briggs (243431/0123 non-battery ignition), new Champion J19LM plug, points set to .020, carb set by instructions I found on the site here from Al. Governor seems to fuction as it should. Had been at it for about a half-hour, not really hi revs: when it just bogged down. The engine would idle, but not much more. No sign of black smoke or anything obvious at that moment. I let it cool a bit, would start, but miss badly when revved. I've read threads about gas percolating in the carb bowl from exhaust heat, but this seems to be more likely ignition. Condenser? Coil? Is this the time to switch to a Kohler coil/battery ignition? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks, Terry p.s Do I have the correct #s here? breaker points=298185 condenser=298060

Try replacing the spark plug. I had a new one die on me that had less than an hour of running time last summer. Could be burned points, oil on points, bad condenser or very likely a piece of trash in the carburetor that lodged in a jet. If you get a jet partially clogged it may flow enough gas to allow idling, but not higher rpm. Remember the racer's rule: "If you think it is ignition, fix the carburetor. If you think it is carburetor, fix the ignition." I have been bitten more that once by this on tractors, motorcycles, and automobiles. Sometimes difficult to tell the difference, especially when the engine is running but just not right. Rod H.

Same thing happened to me today It was the condensor as well but.... I am showing the points gap should be .015 not .020 Ran real ruff @ .020..smoothed out @ .015 Thx Dan

Hi, I noticed you said you put a "Champion J19LM" in your motor, there is part of a problem there, chapmions are not a great plug for these motors and you can bet on problmes, A-C listed the replacement plug and the one that came standard was an Autolite plug, as far as your carb troubles, dump some sea foam or the such in the gas (remember, not alot, the whole bottle treats a minimum of 12 gallons I think!) then shoot a little carb cleaner in with the motor running and see how it goes, it could easily be your condensor, one sign of too much gas could be a mixture of black smoke coming out of your muffler/exhaust shwoing the motor is running rich, most people think that when they remove a sparkplug it should be black (this doesn't apply with a 2 stroke as the black on the plug is from the oil) but rather the plug should be brown indicating a good running condition. Good Luck,-BradW

Hi Dan, I got the point gap as .020 from the site here, but I have also heard advice to adjust the points as the engine is running, kind of using your ear. Kinda like adjusting the lifters on a running 60's Dodge 225 slant six. I'm sure a few people have been there. Terry

Well, I'm happy to report that she's back running nice and strong. The problem did turn out to be the condenser. I started with that in the process of elimination. Fired right up as it should and mowed for a good half hour with nary a pop! I had never had any black smoke, so thats why I headed for the ignition first. I appreciate everyones input on this problem. Brad, any idea what the Autolite plug # would be for this engine? Anyone else concur that Champions are not the way to go? Thanks all! Terry

I have a B/S 24343 myself on a Simplicity. I have used Champions in it for the past 15 years that I have owned it without any significant problems. Yes I have replaced one or two, but that is normal. I can tell you never to use a Prestolite plug. A local shop sold me one as a replacement for an H10. It didn't last two hours of operation. Keep in mind that we all have our own opinions as to what is good and works best if there is a choice. I do, however, follow the philosophy of "run what came in it", unless it has been modified in some way. Rod H.

I run Champions in all my briggs with out a problem outside of age. I just don't know why there seems to be so much dislike for Champion plugs? Just my two cents worth. Jeff