Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Ac 312 stuck in first gear

Jn1972

Just bought a allis charmers 312 ,looks great ,runs great , shifts terrible ,now stuck in first gear ,any advice how to get it out of gear? Thanks jerry

If you fight with shifter while tractor is rolling it is likely to get stuck in gear. The shift forks get jammed like an old Chevy stick shift with 3 on the column. Mine was stuck in 2nd. I was able to free up jammed forks using a allen wrench. I removed oil fill plug on top right side of transmission and reach in with a 5/32" long allen wrench and snag the stuck fork and pull it to the center.

Zippo Varga has a great video on YouTube that shows exactly what to do to fix the issue you are having. Method is tricky and works most the time.

As stated above. ...ALWAYS come to a complete stop before shifting to help prevent the problem from reoccurring. 

I tried to pull the fork with a hook I made up ,I am not sure if I should pull it side to side of the tractor or front to back? does the clutch have to be disengaged to do this ? thanks

9 minutes ago, Jn1972 said:

I tried to pull the fork with a hook I made up ,I am not sure if I should pull it side to side of the tractor or front to back? does the clutch have to be disengaged to do this ? thanks

Side to side. you have to either pull or push depending on which side it is hung up on.  Since 1st gear is stuck 2nd/reverse fork needs to be pushed or pulled to center. Try pulling first, you will hear/feel a distinct click when it is centered. If it won't move push it to center. Good luck and let us know results. BTW 2nd/rev fork is towards rear of tractor. 

• Like 1

I removed wheel and vari drive pulley and got tractor out of gear , it will shift into to 1,2,or 3 ok but can not get it to go in reverse .the tractor shifts very hard into gears . I tried spraying some light oil in the plug hole but it does not shift any better any ideas? thanks jerry

On 8/8/2018 at 2:02 PM, Jn1972 said:

I removed wheel and vari drive pulley and got tractor out of gear , it will shift into to 1,2,or 3 ok but can not get it to go in reverse .the tractor shifts very hard into gears . I tried spraying some light oil in the plug hole but it does not shift any better any ideas? thanks jerry

drain the gear oil and look for signs of rust/water and condition of oil. You may have  shift fork damage if someone used excessive force trying to shift it while stuck in gear.

Finally figured out that my tractor was stuck between gears,watched zippos video and figured out where the shift fork was and where to pry,now the tractor shifts good.installed the mower deck with new belts and mowed my lawn ,thanks for all the help. Does any one know of a bagger system that will fit this tractor ? Thanks jerry