Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

new member in need

corniglio

hello, my name is john, i live in new hampshire. i have a simplicity 2012 that is in need of some parts. i have looked everywhere for new rings and valves without any luck. im looking for a parts source for the briggs & stratton model 300421 engine. does anyone know of a vendor with these parts? thank you all.

2 minutes ago, fishnwiz said:

if you know parts numbers

I use the partstree diagrams to find the correct parts number.  Then I go to ebay.  Not there??  back to partstree.

hello wwbragg and fishnwiz. yes i tried jacks and also partstree. the parts are no longer available. i have also tried ebay with no luck either.

What is the complete model, (300421) type (next 4 digits) and series number ( last 2 digits) of your motor?  Standard size rings are still listed.  Has your block been bored?  What size?

PS:  I found standard sized and +0.010 on Amazon

Edited by wwbragg
punctuation

my landlord engine is

model 300421

type 0120 02

code 670106

i pulled off the head and cleaned things up and while doing so i saw that the piston was in fact .020

the set of rings that i need seem to be part 299711

im just assuming i need rings and probably new valves. i think im getting too much crankcase pressure causing oil to be blown right out the breather assembly and muffler. lots of white smoke. it keeps the mosquito's away but cant be good for the engine.   

simplicity white smoke.jpg

1 hour ago, fishnwiz said:

Might be better off dropping a newer used Briggs into the tractor if your not going for originality. 

hello fishnwiz, your suggestion is interesting. mostly because its true that the tractor needs to run in order to use any and all of the attachments i have. and i have several. which includes my favorite.

simplicity 3.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fishnwiz said:

Might be better off dropping a newer used Briggs into the tractor if your not going for originality. 

would you know of an engine that would match up without a lot of modifications and fabrication?

I had the same dilemma 28 years ago. I had acquired a B10 and noticed it was really low on power. Sure enough a blown head gasket. So I cleaned up the top end and installed a new gasket. Power returned along with a VERY nasty engine knock and smoke that had to be seen to be believed. So out came the engine tore it down and the process of lining up someone to do machine work on it, finding the parts and so on. When all was said and done I happened to be at my local Farm & Fleet and there I was hit with an epiphany. A shiny red brand new B&S 16 hp 32 cu inch cast iron IC engine. I made a quick sketch, some measurements and voila' other than a very slight mod and pulley swap with the old 10 it was a drop in. For $766 with tax out the door. A few hours later I had me a new heart for my tractor. That engine proved to be a far better solution. It was cheaper by over $100 than rebuilding, was designed for unleaded gasoline, and had POWER AND TORQUE like that 10 could never hope for. 28 years later all it ever asked of me in all the years owning it. An annual oil change (I always used Mobil 1 or Shell Rotella T6), and in all those years rebuilt the carb once and one spark plug. Simple and durable. Honestly I would look at a repower

• Like 1

1 hour ago, corniglio said:

causing oil to be blown right out the breather

The smoke and oil blow could be because of the rings.  But if you are already .020 over, a re-bore (to .030) may be necessary.  You are definitely looking at a rebuild and as you have already discovered, parts are going to be hard to find.  Furthermore, tractordata.com indicates that your engine SHOULD be a 243431 so it has already been repowered at some point.  There are numerous repower stories herein.  I recommend a Predator repower.  The mods are not all that complicated and the price is much better than a re-build.

Edited by wwbragg
spelling

1 hour ago, wwbragg said:

The smoke and oil blow could be because of the rings.  But if you are already .020 over, a re-bore (to .030) may be necessary.  You are definitely looking at a rebuild and as you have already discovered, parts are going to be hard to find.  Furthermore, tractordata.com indicates that your engine SHOULD be a 243431 so it has already been repowered at some point.  There are numerous repower stories herein.  I recommend a Predator repower.  The mods are not all that complicated and the price is much better than a re-build.

hello wwbragg, the tractordata.com site for some reason lists the engine incorrectly as 243431. they list all the landlord 9,10,12 hp motors as 243431..i do have the original motor 300421.  im starting to consider th repower as others here are suggesting.

2 hours ago, corniglio said:

starting to consider th repower

I searched for a Simplicity 3012 (which uses the 300421) on Small Engine Warehouse where it says, "Briggs no longer makes the cast iron series of engines, however we still have a few of the 10hp models". The horse power difference would hardly be noticeable and it would drop right in with no mods.

Edited by wwbragg
punctuation

39 minutes ago, wwbragg said:

I searched for a Simplicity 3012 (which uses the 300421) on Small Engine Warehouse where it says, "Briggs no longer makes the cast iron series of engines, however we still have a few of the 10hp models". The horse power difference would hardly be noticeable and it would drop right in with no mods.

ok i will check that out and call them. thank you

I am in the process of rebuilding a 300421 Briggs and the price is adding up.  Because it had been bored .030 and I found a std piston on ebay, I am having it sleeved to standard.  The original intake valve is not available and I am having to have it modified for a later one.  I am using a crank from another engine.  A newer engine may be your best bet.  

Tom

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wwbragg said:

TractorData is wrong. He has a 2012 and they had the 300421 engine which is 12 hp. 

Corniglio, that is a sharp looking 2012. First before suggesting an engine replacement, I would suggest doing some investigation, do a compression test, these engines need to be above 80 PSI to run well. 90-110 is more ideal. You could also have a bad crankcase breather.  Regarding the 12hp 300421  engine, something that no one has mentioned yet, is that these 12 and 13 hp Cast-iron block Briggs share the same thickness block as the 32 cubic inch cast-iron engines (14, 15, 16hp) and can be bored to the STD bore of the 32 cube engines for which parts both STD and .020 are more readily available. No need to sleeve but may cost a little more because you are boring out more material. You would also end up with a more powerful engine.

Edited by Chris727
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, corniglio said:

im just assuming i need rings and probably new valves. i think im getting too much crankcase pressure causing oil to be blown right out the breather assembly and muffler. lots of white smoke. it keeps the mosquito's away but cant be good for the engine.   

simplicity white smoke.jpg

• Like 1

The least expensive, and most original route I have gone in the past, was to watch for a good running, inexpensive donor tractor.  Around here, a good running B112 or 3012 variable can be had for a few hundred bucks...or less.  Grab the right deal, sell off any implements or accessories it comes with, swap motors and sell the now poorly running donor tractor as a project.  You may just get lucky and break even, with only time and fuel to chase it down as your expenses.  Several of my tractors have had era correct transplants.

BEAUTIFUL tractor by the way!  That thing is a knockout!

Understand, the two hardest & nearly impossible rebuild parts to find for the B&S CI 12HP model 300421 engine are an oversize piston assembly and the intake valve.

First, measure the bore for size and roundness. B&S states: 1) max bore .003" oversize and .0015" out of roundness, and 2) chrome rings are used to control oil consumption in bores worn to .005" over standard and do not require honing or glaze breaking the bore to seat. The 12HP "standard" bore is 3.4375". If you just need rings, you can get cast iron, chrome or moly rings from Hastings. Call Tech Services at 800-776-1088 to get part numbers, pricing and to order.

• Like 1