Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hydro bolts

Hope someone can help me. I need to remove the relief valves on my Sunstrand Hydro(Homelite T-16 7016 equiv.)To get at them I must remove the bracket that you use to actuate the valves. This bracket has two odd headed bolts holding it. They have a splined head. I have tried E sockets (external torxs) which do not fit. Can anyone tell me what these aree and where to find a socket for them (Fred?). Thanks for all your help.

No sweat, Rich. I sometimes let Dave handle some of the simple ones, and he happened to get it right this time. Those Ferry head capscrews on your Sundstrand are indeed wrenched with a 3/8" 12 point socket or box wrench.

Rich, The tool you need for the hydro press. release brkt bolts is a 12 pt. 3/8" or 5/16" socket that's it!That's what I've found on the ones that I've done. It's the same size as the PTO collar bolts which bolt the collar to the frame of the tractor. dlc

Better watch out someone might read this page sometime and want to know what a "EGGHEAD" tool is. Isn't that what you are talking about daaaaah? Or did someone just get burned???? ha ha my turn next-jackl-happpyjack

I didn't mean to say anyone on this forum was an e..head!,That reminds me...the next time he's sitting on the 'throne'thinking,design an EGGHEAD TOOL!That us POOR Mechanics have to have to do our jobs! I win the bandwidth hog award on this thread! dlc

Speaking as a mechanic who works on these things I don't have the time to learn the names of all the fastners,just what I can use in my toolbox to get the d..m thing off. Probably some "EGGHEAD"engineer somewhere got a 'brainstorm 1 day while sitting in the Reading Room to develop this new fastner,in concert with Snap- On and such tool Co's in an attempt to make the mechanic HAVE to buy ANOTHER'special' tool![as coincedence would have it,with an very fitting name!!] dlc

Thanks to all of you for the help. I will try the 12 pt. socket tomorrow when I go up to where the tractor is at. I didn't know that a 12 pt. socket would fit well enough to work, and was afraid to try it and really mess things up. The bolts look like they may be hardened, and didn't want to have to drill them out if I messed them up. Thank you all again.
Rich.