Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
awampler

Refurbished FDT Fuel Tanks

awampler

Over the years the used supply of FDT tanks for B-10s, Big Tens, etc have pretty much all dried up. I remember the days when at any given time there always seemed to be a handful of those tanks on ebay or other places to choose from. It's become very frustrating I'm sure to others like myself now to have to work so much harder to find these original tanks. I've talked to a few places that could easily manufacture suitable re-pops for these tanks, but the cost is either ridiculously insane or they won't touch a fuel tank job for liability purposes.

If I were to take the tanks that I have and continue to try and track down others, completely de-rust them, put an excellent coating of Red-Kote on, fix all the pin holes or leaky seams, paint the tank, put a new original style fuel shut-off valve on, put an original style fuel cap on and sell them.... what would you think people would be willing to pay for them?

fishnwiz

I have had a hard time selling the few I redid for any kind of money at all. People are very cautious,  rightfully so, on paying any kind of money that made it worth my time in the 1st place.

Just my experience. 

• Like 1

awampler

I'm thinking they would probably end up in the $150-$175 range. That might vary depending upon the purchase price of used tanks.

One place I talked to said they could make a good reproduction for about $200, but that would be for a run of at least five. An order for 10 tanks would get the price down to $175. A single tank would be in the $225 range.

I've had really good success with my method of de-rusting tanks, repairing pinholes, and coating the tank for future protection. I'm just trying to decide how big I want to get into it.

gwiseman

A good clean original tank will fetch upwards of $75-$100 in my area. But I agree w/ @fishnwiz take a decent tank and fix it right you'd be looking at $40-$60. Buyers are skeptical. Don't think you'll get your time paid for. 

That said, I have tanks I've cleaned, coated, and ran for over 10 yrs. Lately I've seen all types of tanks under the hood so I think the collectors are getting creative w/o spending a lot of $. Personally, I have a Lawn Boy plastic tank on the shelf in case https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/46259-fdt-plastic-replacement-gas-tank/

rich_kildow

For my snowmobile I just redid, for which tanks are probably more rare, the parts guru charges $95 reconditioned and coated with an exchange tank and $125 without and exchange.  He has a whole tumbling rig he uses to recondition about a dozen at a time with a rust dissolving solution and media of some sort, at which point he inspects, fixes pin holes, and coats/paints them.  I don't know how the markets compare for old Diablo/HusSki sleds vs these tractors, but he also has the advantage of being "the guy" for any and all parts for these things.  If you're redoing one, you're getting stuff from him, which I'm sure helps with the economy of scale.