Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Machineguy

Why this hobby and what started your interest?

Machineguy

I’m always interested in the reasons why we like these little machines. What draws you to it? Nostalgia, family or just a mechanical fascination? 

kwt

In the nineties I owned a Ranch King 12hp 40" cut lawn mower that lasted about 4 years. The machine was flimsy but the Briggs engine ran like a top. I own a few machines that I have rebuilt engines on because the machine was fine but the engine just had had enough. Tough machines. That's what I wanted to do yard and garden work with. As a kid I remember a neighbor truck farming about five acres with an Allis B10. A bumble bee tractor. That was the kind of machine I wanted.

Edited by kwt
It was a b10. Not a b210.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Chris727

Started collecting Snapper Hi-Vac mowers between the age of 11-13. By 15 I found an AC Homesteader 8 and it exploded into addiction from there. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

dvdriz

My dad purchased a 1967 Simplicity Landlord with all the attachments when I was 7 years old. By the time I was 10 I was using it for as many jobs as I could find around the property. In the summer I was tilling gardens and mowing grass around the neighborhood. In the winter the real fun began with the snow plow and snow thrower attachments. I never knew as a kid much about the tractor other than it was cool and it was a work horse and it was just plain fun. In my 30's I started collecting B10's and restoring. I think I did a total of 9 tractors over the years and my wife says I'm crazy. I'm almost 60 now and currently working to rebuild, not restore, a 2002 Legacy that was left out in the weather for it's whole life. It has a newer engine but lot's of rust on body panels to work through but still very solid. It will be ready to push snow by winter here in Michigan and I look forward to it as I suspect it will blow the pants off my current setup. I'm the neighborhood snow plow guy as the city does not come all the way to the end of our street. Can't ever take the boy out of me I guess.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

CTD01

Back in 1967 my grandfather bought a new 707. When my Father got his house my grandfather bought a new 6216 and gave the 707 to my dad. My dad wound up with the 6216 and the 707 went to another family member. It sat outside for years after that until the rear end pivot froze and th gas tank rotted away. I was about 10 at the time and dad and I decided to take it back and fix it up. We did that and I played with it until I got my license. Took a break from tractor stuff til I got my house and actually needed one. Well 1 turned into about 30.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

lugnard

My story is similar to dvdriz but a bit earlier. My Dad bought a used wards squire 9 with a rotor tiller and snowblower. Probably was in '62 or '63 because I was too young to use it but started using it when I was 10. Great tractor and still have and use it today. Has been through at least 3 or 4 motors. I remember it died and one summer I tore it all apart and cleaned up the parts using gas cause that was the only parts cleaner we had around. The stuff back then never hurt your hands and worked good. My Dad let me rip it apart then loaded it up and took it to someone to rebuild it. That was what got me going fixing motors/cars/and probably everything else that I do today. I have used the heck out of that tractor. Really haven't done all that much to it considering. Rebuilt the rear bevel gear box many years back and got all the parts from the local Simplicity dealer. Everything was available which I don't think is now.  That dealer went of business a while ago.

I Picked up an allis 712s from a friend of mine that blew the Kohler k301. Rebuilt the motor on it and is mowing fine. A few years back I picked up an Allis 1920h and just love it. 60 inch deck mows great. Before I was mowing with the "big" Allis.....wd45 with a woods mower on back but that went through so much gas. 

I guess I don't really collect them....just use them but haven't gotten rid of them either. You know.....hard to get rid of an old friend!!

Harry

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

bowhunt4life

My wife and I bought our first house in 1997 and picked up an Allis 808 at a garage sale. I had it for a week and blew the engine mowing a side hill. A week or so later I saw a B10 sitting in someones driveway for sale and that yellow just sucked me in. Bought it for $250 with deck and it's been no looking back.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Machineguy

Great stuff! 

My Dad had a lawn care and snow removal business when I was growing up. I was always around his old Snappers when I was a kid and my both my grandfathers had the old tractors. One a Wheel Horse and the other a Massey Ferguson 12 and I always thought they were cool. The Snappers gave way to Dixie Choppers but I always liked the rugged old tractor style machines. 

After dissolving the business, I decided that I’d get something small to keep my driveway clean in the winter instead of the big old plow truck. I wound up getting a beaten down Powemax 9020 from my father in-law and I’ve since gone crazy over these things. 

I still like my old cars and trucks but with no tags, titles, insurance or larger space requirements for these they’ve become an awesome hobby for my mechanical nature. Sounds like we’re all pretty much similar in our reasons for enjoying this hobby. 

Thank you all for sharing! 

Now I can tell the wife I’m not crazy and I’ve got a support group!! Lol

• Like 2

mohrds

Back in '66 my grandfather bought a Landlord 2010. He had what seemed like a hundred attachments to this young boy. Growing up watching him use it and eventually being taught how to use it, I developed a lifelong fondness for them. Many years after he passed, I came a cross a Landlord 2010 for sale and I was hooked. Riding it was like being a kid again. The smell, the noise, it always takes me back to my childhood.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

DaveTenney

A childhood friend had one a Big 10 at his house that his dad had bought new. I had always wanted one, and now I have seven. How did that happen?

It sure is fun working on them though...that is what I enjoy the most. Once I get all the bugs worked out of one I often sell it...Sometimes I break even!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Gary

For me, it's not a hobby, collection or obsession.  Having been around the block a time or two, and having farmed with John Deere equipment, it didn't take long to discover that J.D., made lousy mowers.  My uncle, however, farmed with Allis-Chalmers (not to be confused with Allis-Chambers).  After having used his 716 Hydro, it was obvious (to me at least), where to go lawn mower shopping.  Since 1976, I haven't looked back.  I'll continue to keep my 917 Hdyro in action, as long as I can still find parts.

Simply the best mowers ever made (IMHO).

Edited by Gary
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

tadams

I grew up on a AC CA we moved to town when dad took over managing the local cemetery and my uncle bought the CA and we sold the farm. Dad retired and I took over managing the cemetery in 1986 about 1991 I bought a used CA with a wood belly mower and redone it. Got it fixed up and running good and my Dad got to drive it before he pass in 1992. I just kept buying old AC tractors and fixing them up and by the time I retired in 2007 I had 7 of them and was building my retirement home on 5 acres, was mowing with a AC C with the Woods belly mower till I bought a used Hustler Super Z , that's what we used at the cemetery. I belonged to a Antique tractor and engine club and at our spring swap meet a guy had a AC 110, well I ended up owning it and it is still my main used garden tractor but it started the bug in garden tractors. I now have 10 AC & Simplicities and a 4041 with a loader an a Kubota backhoe on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

spi

I started mowing lawns in  63 when I was 11. I bought an 18" lawn Boy that I am still using. In the late 70s I bought a used 3410 as I had too many lawns to continue to push mow.  rebuilt the engine twice over the years. In 09, last time the engine wore out I bought two basket case B10s for an engine for the 3410. As I still had another engine and enough parts to build a B10 I put one together. Since then I bought a 2010 for the sickle bar and another 2010 and a 2110 for the tiller. So it seems the hobby has found me. I now have a running 3410, B10, and a 2010. this winter I may get one of the other tractors running and see if I can sell something.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

B-16_IC

Mom says my first word was tractor, does that tell you anything? Lol! 

As for my preference in l&g, I owned and operated many brands, the ease of service and implement change not to mention the the great lawn cutting ability cemented what I have and will continue to stick with! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

fishnwiz

Was into the car hobby big time for a while owning seveal early to mid sixties Thunderbird drop tops. At the time I lived on the south side of Milwaukee and had 3,  2 car garages rented for 50 bucks a month....all of them within walking distance of my home.

After I moved to a little  bit more suburban area, garage rentals were non existent because everyone had boats, trailers, classic cars ect so affordable storage became a issue.

It was about this time when I found and restored a 110 round fender JD. The footprint of the tractor was much more in line with my storage/ work space and it was a whole lot cheaper to boot.

After the Deere I found a 63 10hp Simplicity that was a tank and a blast to drive....from there I stumbled upon this site and all the dam ENABLERS.steered me down the wrong path and before I knew it I had 20 AC and Simplicity tractors BECAUSE OF THE ENABLERS ON THIS SITE., I again was forced to find alernative storage that I still rent to this day.

Tractors have since found new homes all over the Midwest no thanks to the ENABLERS ON THIS SITE....You guys know who you are and should be ashamed of yourselves influencing me in that way.>:(

I also just happen to like anything with a motor.dOd

20150301_123109.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

steve-wis

Back during the depression my dad and his family were on the family farm in upper Michigan.  Things got pretty tight, so three of my uncles moved to west allis and all went to work for Allis Chalmers.  Dad went to WW2, then came home and married, and me and six siblings arrived. Dad and one of his brothers took over the family farm, where I was raised.  We had Allis Chalmers tractors and equipment, and I grew up working them, and working on them.  I got married and left the farm, but eventually ended up on 25 acres with a barn and I stocked the machine shed with three Allis Chalmers tractors, dad's original 1948 WD, my father in laws B, and a 190XT.  Wife and I were called to ministry and went into church planting.  I sold everything and we moved into an apartment.  After some years, I returned to my old profession (machinist) but stayed living in town.  Missed the Allis Chalmers tractors tho, and no room for farm tractors in town, so started with Allis and Simplicity garden tractors.  Started with one, a stick steer wonderboy, and went up and down from one tractor to 9 back down to  two when we moved to here in Iowa.  Now back to 4.  They are: 627 Yeoman for mowing, Agco Allis 918H for snowblowing, Allis Chalmers T816 for playing and show, and the latest, a 3112V that will eventually have a front end loader on it.  That's my story!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

deebig

Same as fishnwiz "cheaper than working on cars". I love smaller things that are more manageable. I also love tractors...Bought an Economy Power King in 1973 and have kicked myself a thousand times for selling it 10 years later. I am in my seventies and when my kids asked me what I wanted for my birthday I said "an old tractor to fix up". Last year they got me a kit to motorize a bicycle so they know what I like. I had a choice between a JD 110 or AC314....I looked at both and it was an easy decision even though the JD was in much better shape. The AC is just a neat looking tractor and I would not trade it for 2 JDs!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Machineguy

Thanks again guys! 

I’ve read all of these and we all have a lot of common threads within our reasons to have these machines. I appreciate everyone’s story on here! 

I’ve had people ask why and had others tell me that these machines are basically a waste of time. Then there’s the other crowd that just says, why didn’t you just buy a new one? You know, the people that live on credit and are drowning in debt just to keep up with the Joneses type. Same group that cries about shoveling snow or mowing grass. 

We’re not the skinny jeans wearing, huge ridiculous expensive watch wearing trendy crowd. We’re folks that appreciate the simple common sense of our grandfathers. We also appreciate the tough things they built and used with their mindset of making something to last. We now live in a throwaway society that doesn’t maintain or preserve. Just use it up and toss it out. That’s a flawed wasteful way of living. Funny how most people that urge green living happen to live that way. 

Thanks again for sharing. It sounds like I belong on this forum to me. 

• Like 3

simplewrench

I started working on small engine equipment out of necessity. We were too broke to afford new stuff or have someone else fix it when it broke. My grandpa bought a new Yeoman in 1971 and it mowed their double corner lot until my grandma passed away in the late 90s. I mowed for her the last few years she was around and was always impressed by the job that “old” mower did. I had purchased a new Cub Cadet in 94 and hated the way it cut. When my grandma died my mom said I should take her old Yeoman. So far several years I mowed the house yard with the Simplicity and around the out buildings with the Cub. Then I saw a 7016 setting in a guys back yard and it didn’t move for over a year so I left a note in the mail box with my number. He called and I got the 7016 6 speed with a 42” deck rototiller snowblower and cab for $500, and it has just taken off from there. I have been hovering around 30 tractors for awhile now buying and selling here and there. Most are projects that have been in the works or waiting their turn. Never tried drugs but don’t know how they can be any more addictive. My favorite tractor is a 1962 Simplicity 725 mostly because of the way the engine sounds when it idles. That makes no more sense than living on the street because you’ve spent all your money on drugs but that’s just the way it is can’t be helped. 55B0390B-5188-49D4-8B14-8BF57694F637.thumb.jpeg.1f9e2441e2a6139099e56139a8659f1d.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

spi

I started working on small engine equipment out of necessity. We were too broke to afford new stuff or have someone else fix it

I don't see how anyone can afford to have any kind of machinery if they can't work on it.

• Thanks 1

fishnwiz
1 hour ago, spi said:

I started working on small engine equipment out of necessity. We were too broke to afford new stuff or have someone else fix it

I don't see how anyone can afford to have any kind of machinery if they can't work on it.

125 to pick mower up.  75 to look at. Then 75hr to fix. 

Cheaper to sell it to me and buy new!:D

• Haha 1