Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

hot electrical part

kohler; on my 712 mounted under the coil on the block is a white ? regulator or something. i dont know what it is. it is about 3 inchs long a 1/2 inch wide with one bolt hole in the middle & two wire conectors. any way, this thing is getting so hot it glows then tractor shuts off. i pulled it off & taped it up & it ran fine. but the spring inside didnt look so good. need to find out what it is so i can get a new one. thanks for your help you guys are great.

Probably the ignition resistor. If so, the "spring" that's getting hot is not a "spring", it's a resistor wire wrapped in a coil (like a toaster). The "white" is a ceramic to insulate the heat generated. Sounds like it's working properly. Take off the tape before it starts a fire.

Sounds like an ignition ballast resistor from a Chrysler corporation vehicle. Used to extend ignition point life by reducing the voltage being switched. On the car this is bypassed during starting. I've never seen one or used one on a garden tractor. Unless you know for sure that it belongs there, eliminate it. It is not needed, could cause a fire, and could cause starting problems if not wired to be bypassed during startup. Some mechanic that knew cars probably thought that the Kohler needed one also. Rod H.

Some coils have a built-in resistor, others use a resistor wire, still others use an external resistor like you have. Your grandpop probably knew what he was doing. Don't change anything until you know what the real deal is.

Without a resistor, either built in or external, a 12 volt system will quickly burn out the points. Kohlers used coils with a built in resistor, but this was evidently changed on your tractor. Unless you can find "internal resistor" printed on the coil, leave the resistor on, or replace the coil with one that has the internal resistor. Pat