Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New to me Allis 917H

Alltractoredup

I could not resist this one.  Bought from original owner family.  Very well cared for and all original, except engine was replaced after 16 months.  Story is it had a KT17 series one and we all know what happens to most of them.  Dealership replaced with a Series II , but no oil filter on new Series II.  The tin on this thing is beautiful.  

By far the best running KT I have come across.  No oil leaks anywhere on tractor.  I am not a big fan of the KT series but this one has gotten my attention.  Incredibly smooth throughout RPMs and idle.  I love the sound of this KT.  Very "tough tractor" sounding.  

I plan to add the oil filter setup and rear lift at some time.  I have the sleeve hitch but need the cable.  Only thing it needs is one headlight.  

This tractor is another reason why I love this hobby and meeting the people who enjoy it like me.  

20180811_093132.jpg

20180811_093140.jpg

20180811_093148.jpg

20180811_093201.jpg

20180811_093206.jpg

20180811_093214.jpg

• Like 3

As much bad luck I had with the series 1 KT's .I also like the sound of them. They kind of sing you a song with their mechanical beat that lulls you into a trance of sorts. ...hard to explain what it is about these engines that appeals to me so I will leave it at that.

Forgot to add...Sweeeeet lookn tractor dOd

Edited by fishnwiz
  • Like 1

It must have been a whole new engine (not a short or long block) as the side tins do not have the Twin 17 decals.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MikeES said:

It must have been a whole new engine (not a short or long block) as the side tins do not have the Twin 17 decals.

Yes, completely new.

If I weren't 4 hours away, I'd be interested for $400 assuming it was in good overall shape.  There aren't a lot of Allis' that crop up in this area.

• Like 2

A very nice 917 that you got! Grandparents had one when my brother and I were little and that had the KT series I in it. As for me, I have 2 Allis 917's, an early on and a later one. My second one came with a oil filter, but I took it off. The series II really don't need one or they would have put them on. Plus, you have to cut into the frame. Both of mine are series II without oil filters.

As far for the 917 on Craigslist, it is way too high for it. The one I just got was $300 for the tractor and a 42 inch deck. I agree if it was in the $250 to $350 it would be worth it. Just my 2 cents.

IMG_20180708_170527842.jpg

IMG_20150323_140203_463.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ardisam said:

A very nice 917 that you got! Grandparents had one when my brother and I were little and that had the KT series I in it. As for me, I have 2 Allis 917's, an early on and a later one. My second one came with a oil filter, but I took it off. The series II really don't need one or they would have put them on. Plus, you have to cut into the frame. Both of mine are series II without oil filters.

As far for the 917 on Craigslist, it is way too high for it. The one I just got was $300 for the tractor and a 42 inch deck. I agree if it was in the $250 to $350 it would be worth it. Just my 2 cents.

IMG_20180708_170527842.jpg

IMG_20150323_140203_463.jpg

That's a nice looking setup!  I did acquire a remote oil filter kit off a cub cadet that I will be putting on the 917.  just a little extra insurance.  

• Like 1

Very nice!  I love the look of the early ones with the early steering wheel and white back seat, but never have found one I trusted with the Series 1.  I fell in love with the KT's and have logged a lot of hours on them.

I have had a few nice 917's and a 919 (all series 2).  The value is in the original condition, and that drops fast with any apparent wear.  I sold each of mine for over $900.  I just wouldn't let them go for less.  They were REALLY nice cosmetically, with excellent seats, rear lift. Only two left here with a deck.  They are extremely popular with Allis collectors when in above average condition, so I wouldn't short change anything that looks and runs nice under $500.

• Like 1

I will spill the beans.  I paid $650 for the setup and that was delivered to my door.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Alltractoredup said:

That's a nice looking setup!  I did acquire a remote oil filter kit off a cub cadet that I will be putting on the 917.  just a little extra insurance.  

Thank you! I can see where you are coming from on the little extra insurance! Now, the only thing you need now is the Twin 17 decals on side tins!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Alltractoredup said:

I will spill the beans.  I paid $650 for the setup and that was delivered to my door.  

dOd

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ardisam said:

I did acquire a remote oil filter kit off a cub cadet that I will be putting on the 917.  just a little extra insurance.  

All you need to do is an easy slight modification to the frame and you won't need to use the remote kit.

P1020387.JPG

4 minutes ago, MikeES said:

All you need to do is an easy slight modification to the frame and you won't need to use the remote kit.

P1020387.JPG

I also bought the Fram orange filters...LOL

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...