Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
ckc72r

I think it’s a simplicity 101

ckc72r

Got a Facebook message randomly From a friend of a friend who wanted to clean up a recently purchased property. Had this tractor sitting in a pile of weeds. I think it’s a 1966 101. Do you guys agree. Don’t have the serial #’s didn’t look to hard yet. The engine turns by hand but seems to be making a metal on metal sound. I’m assuming there’s zero oil in it. Have some ideas to get the cylinder cleaned up with out trying to take the engine completely apart? Sea foam? May not get to this for a while, kinda on the back burner of projects. Did remove several mouse nests and cleaned it up a bit. Also where do you guys go to find period correct tires and wheels? As you can see one didn’t take to getting re-aired nicely. I do have some other front rims and tires I can probably put on, but it would be neat to keep it original looking.

E2A8F204-8723-4401-B266-220F9A31CC1C.jpeg

691729ED-8C9B-4172-9582-7DB03BDBAFE6.jpeg

7D0049B0-513C-4A4C-B28B-582D1BFA324A.jpeg

Edited by ckc72r
  • Like 1

Talntedmrgreen

The black dash landlord is generally considered a 1964 model...it's the first Landlord.  Yours appears to have the correct Briggs model 23D. 

The 101 then came out for the '65 model year with a white dash, '101' designation on the hood and a Briggs model 243431 10ho engine.   Many of them exist with '66 Briggs engines, so they probably made it for 65 & 66 before introducing the model 2010 & 2012.

Nice find!

• Like 1

mohrds

Those look like period correct tires. I've had good luck just putting tubes inside them as long as the rubber isn't so brittle it tears the tube. 

If you end up throwing them away, throw them my way! sm04

I currently have Farm & Fleet trailer tires on the front right now waiting for some period correct ones to come around.

Nice find. Looks like a pretty complete tractor (minus the seat). Even has two of the four T-Bolts to hold the hood on. Those are like gold!

MrSteele

I just picked the same tractor up here in Alabama a couple of weeks ago. It is not a 101. I have one of those that I use regularly, for everything. I need an engine to build to use in it while I assemble enough parts to build the 10 hp engine in it. The 10 will likely need to be bored, this time. The engine in my tractor is a 23D. I think I lucked out. It turned over by hand, still had compression. Got the head off, .0025 wear on a standard bore. Think I am the first inside, judging by bolt head damages, or, no damage at all. Build what you have. I found a new set of rings in a very dusty box at my parts dealer, though they are available on special order from Briggs. Good find!